Reload this Page >

A+ certification questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-18-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I am thinking of getting my A+ certification. The only problem is, how do you do that? I know the company is Comptia, and I hear it costs $300 for the test (I know it's 2 parts), but other then that, I am stumped.

First off, can it help me? I really want to have a repair/troubleshooting/installation type career, so is it the best cert to get for that field?

Do you need to know alot of math? I am seriously behind in that area, which obviously limits my programmer options.

If I do go the A+ route, any books, courses, web sites that can help me along? Any web sites in general that explain the A+ in laymens terms?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-18-06, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No real math that I remember. The best thing IMHO is to get/work through the Exam Cram book when you're aceing the study questions in that sign up and take the test. As far as whether it's the best or not it is a start. I can't really think of any other certs off hand that deal specifically w/ hardware/repair.

Last edited by nemein; 08-18-06 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I have this book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...720835?ie=UTF8

but, the A+ test is changing this year to the 2006 version, which is structured a lot differently. It's still 2 parts but there are 3 or 4 choices for the second test based on intended career path
due to the fact all my practice tests are for the 2003 version I plan on taking it this month as I'm taking a vacation day towards the end of the month, but I haven't registered yet
Old 08-18-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently they are chaning the A+ certification, I just got this email today:

In late Q3, CompTIA is releasing an update to CompTIA A+ that will allow you to validate your technology skills in specific job environments.

CompTIA A+ 220-602: The CompTIA A+ 220-602 exam is targeted for individuals who work or intend to work in a mobile or corporate environment with a high level of face-to-face client interaction. Examples of job roles include: Enterprise Technician, IT Administrator, Field Service Technician and PC Technician. Ideally, the CompTIA A+ 220-602 candidate has already passed the CompTIA A+ Essentials examination. Candidates who pass the CompTIA A+ Essentials and CompTIA A+ 220-602 exams will be CompTIA A+ certified with the IT Technician designation.

CompTIA A+ 220-603: The CompTIA A+ 220-603 examination is targeted for individuals who work or intend to work in a remote-based work environment where client interaction, client training, operating system and connectivity issues are emphasized. Example job roles include: Remote Support Technician, Help Desk Technician and Call Center Technician. Ideally, the CompTIA A+ 220-603 candidate has already passed the CompTIA A+ Essentials examination. Candidates who pass the CompTIA A+ Essentials and the CompTIA A+ 220-603 exams will be CompTIA A+ certified with the Remote Support Technician designation.

CompTIA A+ 220-604: The CompTIA A+ 220-604 examination is targeted for individuals who work or intent work in settings where hardware related activities are emphasized. Example job roles include: Depot Technician and Bench Technician. Ideally, the CompTIA A+ 220-604 candidate has already passed the CompTIA A+ Essentials examination. Candidates who pass the CompTIA A+ Essentials and the CompTIA A+ 220-604 exams will be CompTIA A+ certified with the Depot Technician designation.

So either you can (very quickly) take and pass the current A+ exam or wait till these come out and try to take one of these.

WHen I got my A+ it was 20 questions and it took me 5 minutes, it's not that way anymore.
Old 08-18-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I second this book. Michael Myers has some great cert study books. There is no real math in the A+ tests, yet I don't do too much if any math while programming either... But, it all depends on what you like doing and what you want to do for a job (or a side job). The IT field is still very challenging to break into, but this cert would be a good place to start. Good luck!
Old 08-18-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Visit CompTIA

The test was $153 for each part for non-members. Back in 07/200, I paid 256 total. The test was 2 parts of about 50-75 multiple choice questions. I think they give 1 hour per section. It was pretty easy, IMHO.
If I remember correctly, If you failed a section of the test, you had "x" amount of days to retake and pass the test. If you failed again, you would have to retake the entire test and pay for it again.

I bought a Dummys book which helped alot while I was waitng to take the test.
There was a website which gave numerous (100's) of sample questions to sharpen your mind.

No Math, that I can recall....