Computer won't boot

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer won't boot

Old 08-15-06, 11:24 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer won't boot

This started a couple of days ago, I would come into my room and find my computer shut off. I would have to unplug the computer to get it to boot up again. Well this morning I pressed the power button and the fans turned on, but the power light on the front wouldn't come on. Nothing came up on my monitor, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in with the same results. So the fans are running does this mean my motherboard is dead ??

Specs:
Gateway 550GR
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512 Ram
Old 08-15-06, 11:39 AM

PCs that starting turning off on their own are usually overheating somehow (most likely the CPU fan isn't running anymore, or slowly). If it's been overheating that bad for several days, it may have finally fried the CPU. You may want to open the case and watch the CPU fan to see if it is still running full speed when you turn on the pc. If it IS still spinning,then the CPU itself is probably ok.. in which case its probably bad motherboard or bad power supply.
Old 08-15-06, 11:45 AM
Mok

Originally Posted by Geminix
PCs that starting turning off on their own are usually overheating somehow (most likely the CPU fan isn't running anymore, or slowly). If it's been overheating that bad for several days, it may have finally fried the CPU. You may want to open the case and watch the CPU fan to see if it is still running full speed when you turn on the pc. If it IS still spinning,then the CPU itself is probably ok.. in which case its probably bad motherboard or bad power supply.
Well I opended it up, and the fans turn at there normal speed. I see a green light on the motherboard so it seems to be working. I really hope it's not the CPU it's one those hyper-threading proocessors. Is there a chance its the power supply ? I mean the fans runs so I guess the power supply is ok.
Old 08-15-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mok
Well I opended it up, and the fans turn at there normal speed. I see a green light on the motherboard so it seems to be working. I really hope it's not the CPU it's one those hyper-threading proocessors. Is there a chance its the power supply ? I mean the fans runs so I guess the power supply is ok.
Are the fans powered by the motherboard or directly by the power supply?
Old 08-15-06, 11:53 AM
Mok

Originally Posted by pinata242
Are the fans powered by the motherboard or directly by the power supply?
They are powerd to the motherboard.
Old 08-15-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mok
They are powerd to the motherboard.
Starting to sound more and more like the CPU

Does the power supply fan come on as well? Has the room that the computer is in been hotter than normal lately? August tends to do that, especially if you turn the A/C down when you're gone.
Old 08-15-06, 11:57 AM
Mok

Originally Posted by pinata242
Starting to sound more and more like the CPU

Does the power supply fan come on as well?
Yes it does, so I guess am toast

Yes my room is very hot, I have 2 fans running.
Old 08-15-06, 12:00 PM
Mok

oh boy now the power supply just went dead.
Old 08-15-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mok
oh boy now the power supply just went dead.
That may actually be a good sign...? Maybe it was just on its last throes and finally gave up.
Old 08-15-06, 12:02 PM
Mok

Ok power went back on and the computer just gave me 2 beep sounds. Screen says my CMOS is bad.

Note : this may have do with the fact that I took the battery out. I reset the time and date and pc booted up.

Update : well after my computer booted up finally and I reset my CMOS, it seemed to be working fine. Then the mouse and keyboard stopped working and I had to crashed the system to shut it down. So I guess it maybe the power supply. Should I go out and buy a new one ?

Last edited by Mok; 08-15-06 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 02:27 PM

It would be worth a shot - a bad power supply could totally be causing everything you're seeing. Especially if you get one at Best Buy or Circuit City, they would probably let you return it if it didn't fix your problem.
Old 08-15-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mok
Ok power went back on and the computer just gave me 2 beep sounds. Screen says my CMOS is bad.

Note : this may have do with the fact that I took the battery out. I reset the time and date and pc booted up.

Update : well after my computer booted up finally and I reset my CMOS, it seemed to be working fine. Then the mouse and keyboard stopped working and I had to crashed the system to shut it down. So I guess it maybe the power supply. Should I go out and buy a new one ?

cmos is unrelated to the power supply, since its run on the battery on the motherboard..
if your cmos got reset, then that battery may be dying... the good news is that you can get a replacement battery for a buck or two at walmart..
but that wouldnt have caused your power supply issues

lightning storm lately?
do you have your system hooked to a surge protector?
Old 08-15-06, 02:58 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by twikoff
cmos is unrelated to the power supply, since its run on the battery on the motherboard..
if your cmos got reset, then that battery may be dying... the good news is that you can get a replacement battery for a buck or two at walmart..
but that wouldnt have caused your power supply issues

lightning storm lately?
do you have your system hooked to a surge protector?
I have my system hooked up to a surge protector, there was a storm about 2wks ago that knocked out the power. Well am back to square one the system won't boot, but the fans run off the motherboard. I guess I will go out and get a new PSU.
Old 08-15-06, 04:38 PM
Mok

Well while I was removing the old psu I found a problem the P2 plug connected to the motherboard looks burned out. I looked at the motherboard, you can see a little browning where the cord was plugged in.

Here is pic of the plug:

So do you guys think the motherboard is dead ? Should I still get a new power supply or is it to late ?
Old 08-15-06, 04:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might as well try the power supply. Perhaps it burned out something in the PS before it did the motherboard. Make sure you get one with enough conservatively rated wattage.
Old 08-15-06, 04:49 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by X
You might as well try the power supply. Perhaps it burned out something in the PS before it did the motherboard. Make sure you get one with enough conservatively rated wattage.

Thanks will do, thanks guys for all your help.
Old 08-15-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

put it in the freezer
Old 08-16-06, 04:30 PM
Mok

Hi guys me again,

Well I got the new psu and plugged it in. The system powered up I was so happy then, I got the dreaded message error loading os. I don't want to lose the information on my hd does anyone know what I can do ? thanks.
Old 08-16-06, 04:42 PM
X
Administrator

Take the drive out and put it in as a secondary drive in another computer. Then copy the files off.
Old 08-16-06, 04:43 PM
Mok

thanks for the advice, but I don't have a second computer laying around to do that with that supports sata drives.
Old 08-16-06, 05:00 PM
X
Administrator

You can get an SATA <-> PATA converter or you can get something like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812104061
Old 08-16-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

error loading os? as in blue screen while windows tries to load... or as in, cant find anything to load?
if its the second..

you're bios was reset.. go in and make sure everything is configured correctly.. if you have both pata and sata connectors on your board, it may be trying to boot from the wrong one

go in there and make sure your harddrive shows up in the bios
and check the boot sequence to make sure the harddrive is in there

its its while windows is trying to load.. and you have the media.. you can always take a few minutes and try running a repair from the cd.. always worth a shot before you go too far with anything else
Old 08-16-06, 06:02 PM
X
Administrator

I always recommend copying files off before writing anything to the disk, even repaired OS files. If something went wrong with the disk drive, like screwing up the FAT/MFT/directory areas along with the PS you could end up writing over data that you want to keep.
Old 08-16-06, 06:41 PM
Mok

Thanks guys for all the assistance, to be honest I was a dope. I have 2 HD one with Windows Xp, and the other for storage. I was booting to the wrong drive, it took me driving to my mothers house and putting the drive in her computer to find out. Well everything is running fine now. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-17-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It takes a man to admit it

I was going to add that PSU's often are overlooked. They are so critical and if you have an unstable one or one that is overloaded your system will be unstable.