Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Starting My Own Website - Need Some Advice (incl. Mac-based Questions)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-14-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To preface this: I'm ignorant about the ways of the web and I've a lot of terminology to learn. You may need to talk baby talk with me, which is why I'm posting this to a forum - easy to find the answers and I'll have the ability to clarify what I don't understand.

My website will be basic with very little in the way of coding - a lot of text, photos and many files for download, as large as 1GB. (The key to the site is what types of files are on offer, but as of right now I'm reluctant to talk about it online until I actually have it close to implementation.)

The website, in actuality, is not going to be the primary source of income for my business, but it will be the primary way to get my product to the customer. (My product will be available for free to download, being supported by advertisements.)

Okay, without getting too specific about my future website:

I use a Mac and webhosting seems to require either a Linux or Windows interface. I imagine I want to use Linux, right?

For you Mac users, what program do you use to do the coding?

Any good companies to host with? I need a company that can support large amounts of downloading from the website at high speeds - or does this more likely have something to do with the customers bandwidth? (I'll start with a small amount obviously, but I'll need to be able to crank it up pretty quickly, assuming the page takes off.)

I've already registered some domain names with godaddy.com. What will I need to do in order to sync the domain names with the host?

That's all I can think of for right now, but I'm sure I'll have more later.

Thanks!
-ringding-
Old 08-14-06, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
I use a Mac and webhosting seems to require either a Linux or Windows interface. I imagine I want to use Linux, right?
not sure what OS you use relates to what the webhost needs. more than likely you won't be hosting the website (most ISPs don't allow that unless you have a business account, even then, it probably won't fit your speed requirements.)

For you Mac users, what program do you use to do the coding?
most people who don't know html seem to like dreamweaver.

Any good companies to host with? I need a company that can support large amounts of downloading from the website at high speeds - or does this more likely have something to do with the customers bandwidth? (I'll start with a small amount obviously, but I'll need to be able to crank it up pretty quickly, assuming the page takes off.)
sounds like you need a lot of monthly bandwidth. don't know your file sizes/traffic to judge. i personally love hostrocket.com

I've already registered some domain names with godaddy.com. What will I need to do in order to sync the domain names with the host?
after you decide on a host, you will be given the domain server's ip address. plug that back in godaddy and they will be linked.
Old 08-14-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can use your mac to create the files needed to be put on the webhosts linux server, no problem.

Whats best depends a lot on what you need.. is it static files or do you need a lot of 'intelligence'.. A content-management-system might be a good thing for you to use.

No programming required and you can get free modules for just about everything, including downloads.

Check out Joomla or Xoops perhaps.

As for hosting, I'm pretty happy with dreamhost and they give you oodles of bandwitdth (i have 1600 gb / month and they increase it with 16 gb per week).
(code WHT50 waived my signup fee btw - dont know if it still works)

if you dont want to use a CMS, you can try dreamweaver, or a nice free alternative like NVU.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh about linking your domain.. when you sign up with a host, they will tell you what nameservers they use. for instance ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com

you then plug those into godaddy and everything works
Old 08-14-06, 05:53 PM

Cool! Thanks for the advice!

I'm sure I'll be back here for more later! For what it's worth, I'm learning html - my website will be simple enough that what I can accomplish using html should be sufficient.

Thanks again!
-ringding-
Old 09-05-06, 04:21 PM

Ok, new question:

I'm teaching myself html/css using a book. As I put what I learn into practice, I'm using TextEditor (on my Apple Powerbook) to do the programming.

A problem has arisen though and I'm seemingly unable to figure out how to fix it. The problem is:

When I close my file, saved either as an .html or .txt file, and then I reopen it, it opens as the page I programmed, not the code. I write the code in Plain Text. When I try converting the reopened files to Plain Text, I still don't get the code. It's still the page I programmed.

In text editor, it also doesn't turn out exactly like it does when I open the file in a browser...

For example, today I learned how to do basic forms. If I had a "select" form, in a browser it would open okay, but in TextEditor, it would just put the items in the select bunched up... Like IndianaIllinoisIowaMassachusettsKlingon or whatever the items were. Of course, this is irrelevant because it turns up okay in the browsers. I just find it confusing.

Different example using the Plain Text thing I described. So let's say I coded the page to have background #c00. When I first reopen the file in TextEditor, it opens in Rich Text and the background color is #c00. Yet, when I convert the file to Plain Text, the background remains #c00 and the text remains as if it were a (quasi-)webpage not the code I'm looking for.

So, can anybody familiar with TextEditor and using it for programming purposes tell me how to get back to the code?

Thanks!
-ringding-
Old 09-05-06, 04:35 PM

control click the html file -> get info. change "open with.." to textedit.
Then in preferences, check ignore rich text (or something like that).
Old 09-05-06, 04:51 PM

Got it! Thanks a lot, nodoubt!

I'm sure this thread will be resurrected again the next time I have a question!

This forum rocks! (Which is why it certainly doesn't deserve mentioning in that "rudest forum" thread over in Other.)
-ringding-