Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help buying a scanner - please help. I don't know anything.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-12-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I have a bunch of older photos some of which have their respective negatives that I want to scan.

I've been reading reviews and specs and trying to get more than just cursory knowledge, but I thought I'd ask the folks at DVDtalk for some advice.

Basically a lot of the photos were taken with disposable and point-and-shoot 35 mm cameras from about 6-10 years ago. I just want to digitalize them as accurately with good resolution as possible. This goes for negatives as well.

I don't care about paper documents or speed, etc... The one thing I am mindful of is price. Thus far, I have narrowed it down to two scanners: Canon 8400F and the Canon LiDE 500F. I'm not sure which is better but they're both in a similar price range.

Can anyone tell me any significant differences between the two? I'm also open to other suggestions for any comparable scanner below $120.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If price does really matter, I think some digital photo service offer photo/negative scanning.
Old 08-13-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
If price does really matter, I think some digital photo service offer photo/negative scanning.

The printers I listed all do negative scanning. Photoshops and online photo developers charge way too much - much more economical to buy a scanner with the number of photos/negatives I have.
Old 08-17-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HP Scanjet?

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-pa...h~7HEWR134.htm
Old 08-18-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Canon Canoscan 80 i think its called.

there is a 30/50/80 i think. i have the 80. great little machine and very good software.

mine came with photoshop elements 2.0 which costs as much as i paid for the scanner. i lost the product key though and now i h ave a pretty cd to remind me of my loss.
Old 08-18-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I picked up the Canon LiDE 60 Flatbed Scanner for $79 at Staples a few weeks ago. My main goal was primarily to scan photos. I didn't scan any negatives, so I can't comment on that, but otherwise the quality is excellent.

Works great - and for $79 it's a steal.

Just curious - why scan negatives?
Old 08-21-06, 05:22 PM

I have the Canon 4200f and really like it, recently recommended the 8400f to a client (freelance computer support). Very nice scanner - goes well with his Canon i9900 printer.

12th monkey - negatives scan in much better than prints, from my experience.