Reload this Page >

Questions on Reformatting/Reinstalling Windows w/new HD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-09-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my computer is about 4 years old. I am waiting to replace it another few months until the new processors are released. Even after, I sill want to use this machine.

P4 2.4
40gb HD for system software
Other drives for various storage
1gb DDR Ram
DVD-R
CD-R
etc, etc.

The 40gb drive is old and obviously after years of wear it needs to be replaced. I keep my system pretty clean and have been running adaware and norton forever.

It is just plain SLOW though. It also crashed more than it ever has.

I saved all my critical files/music/etc to another HD.
I saved my Outlook messages in a pft
I saved my favorites in Firefox to a file

My problems are....

1- I dont want to reinstall every piece of software I have. I dont have the time, nor do I even remember where some of the software/keys are.

2- I dont want to have to reinstall all the stuff for my network.

3- I always have a tough time getting my network up and running again.

Is there some sort of a guide to make this process easier?
Can I save my system software (Office, soulseek, etc) somewhere so I dont have to go download it/load it all up again?

Any other tips for me to make this process easier?

I just want to get all this info onto a dofferent drive without dragging over any corrupt data. I really want a clean install without all the work after.
Old 08-09-06, 11:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You want a new hd w/ everything you already have? New hds commonly come with cloning software so it's quite easy to just clone over everything.

You want to move the hd over to a new pc, say a new mb, w/ everything you have? Should be fairly easy, kinda like a upgrade/re-install w/ Windows clearing the drivers and such and start from scratch finding the new drivers. I think Microsoft even has the instructions on how to carry this over.
Old 08-10-06, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mather
You want a new hd w/ everything you already have? New hds commonly come with cloning software so it's quite easy to just clone over everything.

You want to move the hd over to a new pc, say a new mb, w/ everything you have? Should be fairly easy, kinda like a upgrade/re-install w/ Windows clearing the drivers and such and start from scratch finding the new drivers. I think Microsoft even has the instructions on how to carry this over.

I think its time to reinstall windows as well. i have had this install for over a year and it is obviously a bit corrupted.
Old 08-10-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

you cant really have both
a clean install, but all your stuff

but you should work on that.. a button that says just move over the good stuff, and dont touch all the bad stuff
Old 08-10-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WinXP has an install feature that will essentially refresh the OS files while leaving the rest of the installed software intact. That might do the trick.
Old 08-10-06, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Birrman54
WinXP has an install feature that will essentially refresh the OS files while leaving the rest of the installed software intact. That might do the trick.

after i do this, can i move it all to a new hd?
Old 08-10-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Birrman54
how does it know what to clean out of the registry?

or does it import the entire registry, crap and all?
Old 08-10-06, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
how does it know what to clean out of the registry?

or does it import the entire registry, crap and all?
It just re-copies the Windows files off of the installation CD. Contrary to popular belief, it won't fix Windows Entropy: it's only good for when one of your Windows system files is actually corrupted.

And about your original question: it can't be done. There are utilities that claim to migrate installed programs from drive to drive; but AlohaBob PC Relocator is the only one I've heard of that actually worked, and Microsoft acquired and discontinued it long ago.

Isn't Windows great?
Old 08-10-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GHackmann
It just re-copies the Windows files off of the installation CD. Contrary to popular belief, it won't fix Windows Entropy: it's only good for when one of your Windows system files is actually corrupted.

Isn't Windows great?
yea.. i knew you could do system state backups in xp.
but if its backing up the current registry.. it just doesnt seem practical to me.. because even after restoring, you are still going to issues.. new files, but same ole registry seems like a bad fix.

i like to format and rebuild my pc pretty regularly.. and use that as an opportunity to get rid of all the crap programs i wasnt using, and upgrade the ones i was..
i dont keep copies of any programs i download.. because i know i can download them again, and when Im ready, Ill get the newest programs

if you are worried you will forget about a program and wont reinstall it.. then odds were you didnt use it, and wont miss it..

lost cd keys and such is a whole seperate mess........