Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Podcasts 101?

Old 07-28-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Podcasts 101?

I just started commuting 40 minutes one way, and I'm already sick of stupid talk radio. I have a few good audio books, but would like something a bit shorter, and haven't really done the podcast thing yet.

First off, I don't have an mp3 player, and don't really want one - I have no problem just making audio CDs from mp3s, if that's acceptable.

So what do I need software-wise, and where should I look, to find some good podcasts?

I'm interested in anything really - comedy, business, music, entertainment, education, whatever.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-28-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
itunes
Old 07-28-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
itunes
Don't have it (never d/l music)...does it let you search for different podcasts and such? Burn to CD?
Old 07-28-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.podcastalley.com
Old 07-28-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
itunes is music library and podcast manager. It lets you subscribe to podcasts then download the newest episode/s at set intervals [hourly, daily, weekly, on demand.]
There are other podcast aggregators, but I've only used itunes.
My audio podcasts are in mp3 form, so I don't see why you couldn't just burn them to a CDR, either in mp3/data format or audio [assuming you have conversion software, itunes lets you burn mp3 to audio cd, but I don't know about podcasts; don't see why not.]. Navigation could be tricky though--if you subscribe to some 5 or 10 min podcasts, you'd have 7-14 of them in audio format on a CD.

podcastpickle.com
yahoo.podcasts.com
if you're interested in audiobooks, try podiobooks.com
and if you do download itunes, you can go to the itunes music store free and without setting up an account and browse/search/subscribe to podcasts.
Old 07-28-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Don't have it (never d/l music)...does it let you search for different podcasts and such? Burn to CD?
Doesn't matter. It's free, so it's worth looking at. The podcast section of the iTunes Music Store links to thousands of podcasts, and it's easy to search by subject, etc.

And once you download a podcast, it's easy for iTunes to convert it to WAV and burn it to CD for you.
Old 07-29-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help guys.

Been looking through iTunes, Yahoo Podcasts, podcastalley, and now the problem is there are just so damned many that sound interesting.
Old 07-29-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

true : )
I'm subscribed to about thirty, including audiobooks, though they come out at irregular schedules and I'm actively listening to about 12. My commute only gives me about 20 minutes one-way of listening time.
Another advantage to using itunes is that you can subscribe to video podcasts which you can watch through itunes--there's an Excel tips one that I've learned couple things from, and AtomFilms had one with short films. Of course, there may be other aggregators that let you watch video podcasts.
Old 07-29-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
Thanks for the help guys.

Been looking through iTunes, Yahoo Podcasts, podcastalley, and now the problem is there are just so damned many that sound interesting.
They might sound interesting, but trust me- only about 10% of those will you actually stick with. There's a reason more people aren't on the radio.
Old 07-29-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i've used Itunes and a few other ones and I prefer Itunes

even if I didn't have an Ipod I'd still use it since i like it
Old 07-29-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use iTunes to download podcasts, but I also have a cool program on my Palm called Quick News that is an excellent little news reader. It lets you download podcasts directly to a PDA which is nice when I want to hear a new podcast and I'm away from my PC.
Old 08-04-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They might sound interesting, but trust me- only about 10% of those will you actually stick with. There's a reason more people aren't on the radio.
Yeah...I've dropped six or eight subscriptions that I'm just not interested in. But there's definitely enough free, good stuff to make it worthwhile.
Especially now that I found out that podcasts are automatically bookmarked--there were some I wouldn't listen to for a long time because they were 20-60 minutes long and I wouldn't be able to get through the whole thing. Although I've listened to six chapters of an audiobook in the past day and a half.
Old 08-04-06, 03:51 PM
Retired

I use iTunes as well, though I've not been doing podcasts for the past couple of months.

Need to get back into it.