Reload this Page >

Looks like the computer is toast - Need Recommendations

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-16-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, due to a lovely poweroutage (really...I have no idea) it looks like the computer is toast. I built her about 2 years ago, so I suppose you could argue it's time for a new one, especially since she wasn't top of the line at the time. ~3ghz, 1gb ram, 20gb hd 10,000 rpm. Video card was about 1.5 years old GeF6600GT AGP 128mb.
My abilities to test are limited, so I honestly can't tell if it's the MB or the Vid Card, but I'm getting a blank screen. Tried clearing the CMOS, etc., but nada.

Anyway, if I need to get a new computer I'm looking at the following:

Dell XPS line (not the top end one)
Alienware
MacMini

Now, these days I find myself doing a lot less gaming than I used to and probably won't be doing too much of it in the future. The one think I would like out of the Dell and Alienware is future-upgradability - Dual SLI, however, as I said I haven't really been doing any gaming so I'm not sure I should really be worried about that.

Only gaming I've done the last year is World of Warcraft and that is not very graphics intensive.

Would appreciate thoughts. Also, I'm out of touch with the graphics cards market, as well as how these new CoreDuo processors work relative to old single corse and AMD 64bit chips.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your old PC, do any of the fans spin up ? Do you hear any BIOS post beeps at boot up ? It can be a pain to troubleshoot at this point too without having good parts to swap around with.

As for chips, I'm looking at upgrading soon and am pretty interested in the Core 2 chips that were just released. So far, I've not seen them on sale anywhere and the motherboards for them are just out as well , but in terms of cost vs. performance, they do look pretty sweet versus the current X2's from AMD. You might take a look for reviews of these online and see how they are stacking up versus the current generation technology. (You might also see the Core 2's being refered to by their codename, "Conroe")
Old 07-17-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well that's the strange thing. The fans come on, MB, Processor Fan and Video Card board. However, I do not hear any bios beep (I could just be missing it though).

I'll take a look for the C2 info.
Old 07-17-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the ram.... try using only one DIMM of RAM and switching them back and forth(I'm assuming you have 2x512) ... my P4 3.0 HT from 2003 died on me with the same symptoms and I built a whole new computer and tried to use the same RAM and they didn't work at all.... bought new RAM and the new computer worked perfect... didn't bother with the P4 anymore though
Old 07-17-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also heard that AMD is going to drop some serious price cuts at the end of this month in response to Intel's C2D release. So it would be a good idea to hold of a couple of weeks until the C2D's really hit the market.