Reload this Page >

Smartphone Options?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Smartphone Options?

Old 06-21-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smartphone Options?

I'm thinking about getting a smartphone, but don't really know where to begin comparing things. As I understand it, not all manufacturers have service contracts in all areas?

What I want (if possible - I think this is all available on one phone or another now):

-Internet access (not sure how "flexible" this is yet...is it just email and a few other things, or do most carriers offer basically regular internet access?)

-I have a Slingbox, so I'd want to be able to watch it for sure

-Therefore, video capabilities are a must, I guess

-MP3 player built in? Wouldn't need a ton of space for MP3s, a couple hundred MB would be fine, I'd think (or whatever is available)...do they have headphone jacks?

-Personal organizer/calendar features (I'm guessing they all have this?)

-I live in a deep valley, and it's kind of a dead spot with my current provider (US Cellular)...thing is, I can actually see the top of a cellphone tower from here, so I'm guessing that with the right provider, I should be fine here? But US Cellular is far and away the dominant provider in this rural area (S. of Madison, WI). Would a nationwide service give me better reception, or is that completely irrelevant?

-Speaking of nationwide service...it's probably not necessary for the limited traveling I do. I just started my professional career as a financial planner, so I'll be travelling a lot within an hour or so of Madison, but not a whole lot out of state.

-What kind of service costs can I expect? I'm guessing there are broad ranges based on different voice and data plans?

-Something that would be sweet - but definitely not required - is to have GPS capabilities.

As you can tell, I really don't know a thing. So any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about coverage and your area but, I did a lot of research on smartphone. If you want a full keyboard check out:

Treo 700
Cingular 8125 (there are unbranded, unlocked varients)
Motorola Q

If you don't need the full keyboard check out,

Cingular 2125 (there are unbranded, unlocked varients)
The new i-Mate smartflip (also known as the HTC Star Trek phone)

I ended up with a SLVR (not a smartphone) Just got to good of a deal to pass up. Still learning about it, but like it...
Old 06-22-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you have decent sprint or verizon service where you are, look at the 6700.

I have it through sprint, it's pretty cool. Internet is full web access via IE (or any other ppc browser like opera), and if you live in an area with EVDO service, it's high speed. (I get about 200k/sec upload, and about 700 down, so about like residential DSL). Has all the other things you wanted also, except GPS, but I'm not aware of any that have a real GPS builtin. You can add a bluetooth one easy enough, or use something like navizon:
http://www.navizon.com

Last edited by Dave99; 06-22-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, did a bit of looking today, and discovered that coverage generally sucks in my area. Right around Madison it's ok, but I'm in the 53566 area code, and Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel, and Cingular are all non-existent here.

So it's either US Cellular or Alltell, I think. I've been with US Cellular forever, and they are annoying as hell. Alltell I think just came into the area.

Alltell has the Treo 650 as well as the pocket PC you have. US Cellular just has Blackberries (which I read are much more "business" oriented, and aren't much for music/video, browsing, etc.?).

So anybody have Alltell? What are your thoughts? Their data speeds are 40-70 kbps. http://www.alltell.com

I think I'm basically screwed at the moment. But I've gotta believe these carriers are constantly expanding coverage areas and improving data speeds, aren't they?