Reload this Page >

Best Way to Rip Music?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best Way to Rip Music?

Old 06-21-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Rip Music?

I'm looking for the easiest way to rip cds into mp3 format. Now I have a format for me that works well, but I'm looking to set something up for my parents new machine and have some questions.

1) Does WMP allow for mp3 creation without establishing drm?

2) Same for iTunes.

3) Will either of these automatically download the album art and put that with the folder/album so that will pop up? Pretty sure it has to be done manually with iTunes if I am not mistaken.

4) Other options?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) dont know

2) no drm on what you rip yourself

3) itunes is manual (find pic online, drag and ddrop into itunes)
Old 06-21-06, 05:08 PM
lxl

easiest way != best way
Old 06-21-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

last i checked, wmp and itunes didn't put drm on your own music, only the ones you buy off itunes and other online music stores like walmart.

use eac to rip the cds. take a bit time to configure but works very well.

there is a program called album cover art downloader that is good. it can add/remove album cover art from the music files.
Old 06-21-06, 05:18 PM
Retired

I tunes gets the album art. I don't know where it puts it, but it all of a sudden showed up for most of my ripped cds and I didn't do anything manually. Just upgraded iTunes whenever, and all of a sudden had cover art.

And it definitely doesn't put DRM on mp3's you rip.

I use it as it's super easy, organizes my files well, and the quality is good enough for my non-audiophile ears.

Ignorance is bliss. I'd hate to be an audiophile techy always obsessing over getting the best sound quality possible. Glad that I can't hear the difference and don't care to work on learning how to.
Old 06-21-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with lxl that the easiest way to rip MP3s is not the best way. MP3s ripped with a poor encoder are unlistenable to me, regardless of bitrate.

Strangely enough, there are about 8,000 threads here about how to rip CDs to MP3 format. And 7,999 of them come down to this: Use Exact Audio Copy configured with the LAME encoder to extract and encode your CDs. You'll get MP3s that are at the theoretical limit of what MP3 can do.

Here's a good tutorial:
http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/eac.htm
Old 06-21-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what do people use besides itunes to rip to aac?
Old 06-21-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Ignorance is bliss. I'd hate to be an audiophile techy always obsessing over getting the best sound quality possible. Glad that I can't hear the difference and don't care to work on learning how to.
That's sad, and a bit insulting.

And you can hear the difference. All you have to do is listen to a song encoded with a crappy encoder, then listen to it encoded with a good encoder. There's no magic involved, and when it comes to MP3 the differences can be dramatic, not subtle.

EAC and LAME are free, take only a few minutes to install and set up, and are then just about as easy to use as iTunes. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-21-06, 07:08 PM
Retired

Don't mean to be insulting, as I have no issues with people in to high A/V quality.

I'm just glad I don't care so I can just buy a cd, download and mp3, buy a dvd etc. and just enjoy the content without nitpicking the A/V quality. I'm just in to the content and don't care much about the presentation as long as it's in reasonable quality.

And I have tried EAC and Lame and encoded mp3s at various bit rates and really couldn't tell much difference between those files and the same bit rate ones I did in iTunes. Just don't have good ears I guess.

You care a lot about audio quality and can tell the difference, that's great.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have over 3,000 tracks ripped and encoded in 128 kbps mp3s in iTunes and I'm perfectly content. Sound fine to me (only listen to them with pc speakers and headphones on my mp3 player, just grab the CD otherwise) and don't take up much space on my HD or mp3 players.
Old 06-21-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like I said I am looking for the easiest way as it is for my parents. I myself do use EAC with lame, so I know that's a good way to go.

Based on the reponses I think I'll just setup WMP for them and go with that. I know, I know, but this way they don't have to worry about some other programs, etc.