Restricting access to drives on HD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-21-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have some guests coming over and using my laptop to surf the web, email, etc. I'd like to restrict access to the D: and E: drives where my work files, personal documents reside. Is there a way to do this via a password of some sort? ie: windows would ask for a password when you would double click on a drive in My Computer?

I know you can do this via adding another user and restricting access that way, however, I'd rather not have to log in/ log out of the system.

If i cant password protect the drive, maybe hide the drives? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Old 06-21-06, 03:43 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

What version of Windows are you using?
Old 06-22-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jrobinson
What version of Windows are you using?
Sorry forgot to include that originally - I am using Windows XP Pro, SP2
Old 06-22-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the truecrypt program is probably the wasy way and should be able to encrypt your whole hd and pw protect it.
Old 06-22-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestion- Is there a way to do this without encrypting the drive? my system is slow enough and i would rather not have the drive be any slower... thank you!
Old 06-22-06, 04:53 AM
lxl

create a guest account for your guests to use, and then configure that account not be able to access your private drives/folders (security/permission --> Deny).
Old 06-22-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could mount the drives as folders on another drive and then set those folders to "hidden". They then would not show up in Windows Explorer unless you have it set to show hidden files and folders (Tools -> Folder Options -> View (tab), one of the check box options).

You won't be able to do this if the drive you want to hide is a system or boot drive. Go into Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Comp Management -> Disk Management. Right click on a volume and select "Change drive letter and path..." then remove the drive letter. Then go back to "Change drive letter", select the mount as folder option and fund a subfolder on another drive. Then in Windows Explorer right click and go to the properties of the new folder and check the hidden box.
Old 06-22-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you trying to be secure or are you trying to just think you are smarter than everyone else that is using the machine?

If you are trying to be secure, http://www.truecrypt.org/ really is about the best free thing going to keep people out of your pr0n, er.. I mean WORK FILES, yeah

if you are just trying to be sneaky and be smarter than everyone else, you can donwload the microsoft powertoys, run the tweakui program (you can even hide that program if you want), run it and go into the my computer section, under drives and uncheck all the drive letters other than C: or maybe your CD/DVD drive letter if you want them to see that as well.

Keep in mind, this is not secure. Your 'guests' could possibly figure it out and see all the pictures..er I mean WORK FILES that you want to keep private
Old 06-22-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Are you trying to be secure or are you trying to just think you are smarter than everyone else that is using the machine?

If you are trying to be secure, http://www.truecrypt.org/ really is about the best free thing going to keep people out of your pr0n, er.. I mean WORK FILES, yeah

if you are just trying to be sneaky and be smarter than everyone else, you can donwload the microsoft powertoys, run the tweakui program (you can even hide that program if you want), run it and go into the my computer section, under drives and uncheck all the drive letters other than C: or maybe your CD/DVD drive letter if you want them to see that as well.

Keep in mind, this is not secure. Your 'guests' could possibly figure it out and see all the pictures..er I mean WORK FILES that you want to keep private
Bingo. Security through obscurity (in this case, "hidden" dirs/files) is not very good security.

Whether you are trying to keep Aunt Martha from finding your bukkake vidstash or what, you have two objectives you need to keep in mind. You need to protect your schtuff from snooping and also protect it from loss. To that end:

1. Encrypt anything on your HD that you dont want others to see, to include any data that could lead to identity theft in case of the theft of your system.

2. Backup anything that you would have difficulty replacing/living without.

It is getting to the point that the loss of a personal computer (be it from theft, fire, earthquake, whatever) can be a crippling loss to the user. Covah yo ass.