Reload this Page >

Help me choose a new desktop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I am thinking about pickin up a new desktop. I would just use it for general use stuff; surfing, email, .mp3s, etc. but I also do play WoW so it needs to be able to handle that well and be better than my current WoW system (which is a reasonably new laptop with an iffy video card and only 512MB).

However, I do not want to build my own other than possibly upgrading RAM and the video card. OTOH, I want something that I will not have to upgrade for awhile except for some possible initial upgrades. Obviously, I am trying to spend as little as possible while still acheiving my objectives. I do not need a monitor.

I am leaning towards one of these three about to be discontinued AMD Gateways:

GT4016:

AMD Athlon™ 64 3700+
200GB HD
1GB RAM
$599

GT5056

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+
250GB HD
1GB RAM
$699

GT5058

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+
250GB HD
2GB RAM
$849

All three of these systems would require an addition ~$200 for a video card upgrade for WoW. I will also make sure they did not fill all the memory slots with small SIMs before I buy.

So the questions are:

To what extent is the upgrade to dual-core and/or additional RAM worth it based on these prices?

Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether with these systems? Some other systems in the same pricerange I should be considering?

What video card "best bang for the buck" is recommended for my needs?

Any guidance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend doing all your computer shopping on newegg.com , not sure on the deals on desktop PCs there, although video cards and RAM are absolutely much cheaper than circuit city, best buy, ect. Also $200 is major overkill for a card just to run WOW, you can get the almost highest end cards for that much on newegg.
Old 06-21-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody else?

I did check Newegg and Outpost and they do not seem to sell anything comparable to these systems at prices anywhere near as low as what CC is charging at the moment.

As for a cheaper video card, I have no idea which one to buy for my needs. I was leaning towards the EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT video card which is right around $200. However, I have to admit that I have little familiarity with the brands I should even be looking at.
Old 06-21-06, 12:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're sure these are the best you can get for the price I'd go with the GT5056. You don't need the extra gig of RAM and you might appreciate the dual core with things such as anti-virus software.

It would be nice to get it without the DVD burner and add your own because it'll probably come with a crappy one.
Old 06-21-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
If you're sure these are the best you can get for the price I'd go with the GT5056. You don't need the extra gig of RAM and you might appreciate the dual core with things such as anti-virus software.

It would be nice to get it without the DVD burner and add your own because it'll probably come with a crappy one.
But wait, if I get the most expensive system, I get two crappy DVD burners!

Thanks for the input. I did some more research and the nVidia 7600 GT would seem to be the best buy VC in in the mainstream segment right now, better than the ATI offering in the same pricerange. Since WoW and other MMPORGS are't that demanding anyway, this hardware should last me awhile.

I just need to make sure that Gateway didn't go the cheap route and fill all the sim slots as a manual 1GB upgrade would be noticeably cheaper than the cost differential between the 5056 and the 5058.

Even if the installed DVD-ROMs are r0xx0r, I don't see needing two of them.