Reload this Page >

Motorola Q vs. Palm Treo

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Motorola Q vs. Palm Treo

Old 06-19-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorola Q vs. Palm Treo

Has anybody used the Motorola Q? I know it's about 1/2 the size of the Treo, but I want to know how the Q works in relation to the Treo. I know the cost of the Q is $99 which is about 1/2 Palm's cost.

Then again, this is the first version for Motorola, so maybe I should wait for the next one
Old 06-19-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend has it. He said only Verizon provide it.

I saw it for briefly, it looks nice.
Old 06-19-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep falling in the trap of buying motorola phones and i'm always disappointed.. designs are top, software is crap. However, this is win ce right? so i guess maybe there is a limit to how much they can screw it up...
Old 06-21-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

where can you get the Q for 99?
i thought i had seen 199 after rebate

and of course the amazon rebates take about 10 months to qualify for and receive..
Old 06-22-06, 02:45 AM

The software is pretty bad, its from Microsoft, what do you expect. The thing is super light though, I picked one up at one of those Verizon stands in the mall and I thought it was one of those fake display units. I asked the guy if he had a real one and he said it was one, I was very surprised.
Old 06-22-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

ummmm

isnt the Q running MS mobile os? if so, thats a pretty solid OS with tons of available compatible software

and the Treo has moved from palm os to ms mobile with the 700.. Finally!
Old 06-22-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was playing with someone's 700 with Broadband access the other day. Very nice.
Old 06-22-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

and the q is equally as nice
tough decision
Old 06-22-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by twikoff
where can you get the Q for 99?
i thought i had seen 199 after rebate

and of course the amazon rebates take about 10 months to qualify for and receive..

and.. found my own answer:

Motorola Q Ultra-Slim WM5 SmartPhone $100 at WireFly.com Click Here
Discuss (4) Posted 8:51 AM PDT 6/22/06 by Ben

WireFly.com has the new Motorola Q, the world's slimmest smartphone to date. It sports a RAZR inspired design and Windows Mobile 5, with support for all the goodies such as bluetooth. The price is $200 - $100 rebates = $100 with free shipping. Activation requires 2-year plan to get this price. Both Amazon.com and Buy.com have it for $170 AR. [Review]

It may interest some of you that this phone has already been hacked to support Bluetooth DUN profiles with EVDO speeds. That means you can use it with your bluetooth enabled laptop as a wireless broadband modem.
Old 06-22-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I could just stop by the Motorola store here in Chicago.
Old 06-23-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a good deal with Sprint, so I've been waiting for the Treo 700w to come out. The Q looks pretty nice as well, but I doubt I'll see it on Sprint anytime soon.
Old 08-14-06, 11:46 AM

From what I hear, the Treo is only a smartphone and not a PDA, so it is nowhere near as powerful as the 700w. The example I got was that on a Treo, you can create and edit excell files, whereas on a Q you can only view them...

Let me know if I am wrong though, because the Q is a lot cheaper, and right now I'm trying to buy a 700w
Old 08-14-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have used both and I would take the 700w over the Q. While the Q looks nice that is it. The processor is slow. The keyboard felt like shit typing on it and I had a hard time with the 4 way navagation stick. The scroll wheel on the side was OK but BlackBerry has a better implementation of it. The Q only runs Windows Mobile Smart Phone editoin while the 700w runs the full Pocket PC version. The touch screen is much nicer and the buttons feel better to type on. Rumor has it that the Q will be on Sprint's network though by the end of the year. I was happy to send it back though. Again Motorola had the chance to make a killer device but they fell short.
Old 08-15-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrPink
I have used both and I would take the 700w over the Q. While the Q looks nice that is it. The processor is slow. The keyboard felt like shit typing on it and I had a hard time with the 4 way navagation stick. The scroll wheel on the side was OK but BlackBerry has a better implementation of it. The Q only runs Windows Mobile Smart Phone editoin while the 700w runs the full Pocket PC version. The touch screen is much nicer and the buttons feel better to type on. Rumor has it that the Q will be on Sprint's network though by the end of the year. I was happy to send it back though. Again Motorola had the chance to make a killer device but they fell short.
Well (and I am usually pretty hard on American companies) this was Motorola's first attempt at a PDA/Phone combo.
Old 08-15-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Well (and I am usually pretty hard on American companies) this was Motorola's first attempt at a PDA/Phone combo.
This was not there first attempt. They had the MPX 200, 220 and the unrealease MPX 100, and 300. They dropped the 100 but the folks that I know that had a 300 said they underpowered it and it was way to big to use as a phone.
The 300 was the only one that used the pocket PC platform the others used the smartphone OS.