Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Internet going REALLY slow, where do I start to troubleshoot?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, my Internet has been going REALLY slow the past two days. I think I have a D/L speed between 100-300kbps. I have Comcast HS-Internet and they cannot help me. I've contacted them twice now.

I have a splitter on my cable and my TV works great, but the Internet is slow. I've tried two splitters and the same result. I've reset both my router and modem numerous times. I tried two cables going from the splitter to my modem also....just to be sure.

What is my next step? I don't want to rip all my cables out....yet. Should I bypass my router? Not sure why that would cause a slow connection though.

Any help will be appreciated...thanks.

*UPDATE*
I plugged my Internet Cable directly into the modem and it works fine. I need a NEW splitter I believe. Weird that TWO caused this problem. Any recommendations?

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 06-19-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd try bypassing the router first...see if that might be the culprit. If it is indeed faster (back to normal), you'll know its the router. If not, then you'll need further troubleshooting.

I would also reset the modem, the router, and your pc if you haven't already tried that.
Old 06-18-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I think it has something to do with my splitter. If I plug in my Cable connection directly to my modem, back to 6MBps. Weird....I tried TWO splitters also, what are the odds of TWO bad splitters? I even used good Coax cables to go from my splitter to my modem....hmmmm, I'll try a NEW splitter eventually....unless someone else thinkgs it's something.
Old 06-18-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone recommend me a CABLE splitter? That seems to be the case.....I know Monster Cable has one that is $30.....does it matter? I probably want a 4-way splitter. But, 2 might work since I have a CableCARD now and only need 1 cable in my TV.
Old 06-18-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$30 seems a bit much for a cable splitter.

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-28092...ec&dcaid=17379

And Radio Shack has one for around $7 or less I bet.

Where did you get the previous two splitters? That might be the problem. Maybe avoid that source.
Old 06-19-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whenever this has happended to me, a splitter has been the problem, either in the house or on the street. See if you can pick one up from the cable company, or have them come out to check the ones outside.
Old 06-19-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
$30 seems a bit much for a cable splitter.

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-28092...ec&dcaid=17379

And Radio Shack has one for around $7 or less I bet.

Where did you get the previous two splitters? That might be the problem. Maybe avoid that source.
I had them lying around the house...not sure where I got them.
Old 06-19-06, 10:41 AM
Banned

What about the dreaded pop up's, maybe some ads gots leeched onto your system. Also check your start up menu and see how much stuff is running in the background while your computer is on. I just cleaned my start up menu and got rid of alot of things I did not need to have running all the time. My computer was dragging alot before this quick fix..
Old 06-19-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....but I think it has something to do with the splitter, since it works FINE without the splitter now.