Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows Live products looking better and better...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....and they're getting more tempting to me as well. I'm a Google lover but as of late, I'm starting to think Microsoft will actually move ahead very easily here.

Granted, the only Live products I've used so far are the Windows Live homepage, messenger, and a few others but they are all great and run very smooth. I'm still waiting on my access to Live mail which I hear blows gmail away.

I'm not saying I'm jumping off the Google ship just yet, ya never know what they have in store but I don't really see them doing a major upgrade anytime soon (to any of their products) - they did just come out with google spreadsheets which is awesome.

I don't know, Windows Live products are looking better and better everytime I use them and I find myself browsing through them quite often.

You can visit them here: www.live.com
Old 06-18-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Live Mail is awesome.
Old 06-18-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've tried Windows live mail and I'm not that impressed. I don't use MSN so I had to create an account there. Yahoo, which is my main webmail client, won't let me use POP access and I can't bulk foward it to another account.

It looks nice but I'm not ready to change my e-mail address to MSN just yet.
Old 07-19-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm curious about the features of Windows Live Mail that people like.

I recently switched to the Live Mail beta, and I'm unimpressed. In particular, that huge banner ad seems to take up a large amount of real estate at the top of the browser... understandable, I guess, but it seems like it's much harder to look at messages without expanding my browser window to full screen. Forget the preview pane... I like the idea, but it takes up even more space, and there doesn't seem to be a way to resize the frames.
Old 07-19-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the drag and drop messages feature as well as the preview panel (which I have no problems resizing with the standard window drag tool).
Old 07-19-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the screen real estate issues. Between the header and the banner ad you loose 25% of the screen (at 1024x) plus another 5-10% for the persistent 'legal' footer.

If you put it in vertical pane mode you have 2 side panels plus the preview and if you use horizontal mode there is enough room for 3 subject lines in the email list.
Old 07-19-06, 07:51 PM
lxl

So far tried live email, not impressed at all. I still prefer Gmail.
Old 07-19-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lxl
So far tried live email, not impressed at all. I still prefer Gmail.
When I got the home page and toolbar I got excited - when I finally got Live mail........I ended up pissed off - it sucks.
Old 07-21-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://mikaelvinding.com/?p=7

Only messenger so far here - not hating it.. yahoo is going downhill. I even bitched about it on my blog - so there!
Old 07-21-06, 06:36 PM
lxl

Originally Posted by ravan
Nicy "My Top 5!"... except
1. Truecrypt
2. Foldershare -------------> try hamachi
3. Filezilla ------------> use SmartFTP
4. Yahoo Widget Engine
5. Messengers -----------> SkyPE!
and honorable mentions:
1. Putty
2. Roboform

Spoiler:
Kidding!
Old 07-24-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its what i call the pre pre services roll out of vista. i like the new messenger, some of the other stuff i'm sure will be gold by the time vista ships with all the crap already in it.
Old 08-08-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is it me, or did Windows Live Mail recently stop working with firefox? most notably, when i select multiple messages and try to drag/move/delete them, it only performs that action on one message.

yeah, i know there's IETab, but then you've got the ads showing..
Old 08-08-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not a big fan of Live Mail so far; I think i'll stick with GMail.
Old 08-08-06, 03:43 PM
Retired

Just downloaded Live messenger. It's pretty neat, the dynamic backgrounds are pretty cool, and the folder sharing option could be handy for sharing photos with contacts etc.
Old 02-02-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it's been a while since I started this thread and I have once again went back to testing out live products.

They are much improved and have definitely caught up with Google (I mean that too). Live search? Well, it's still a little shaddy but the options they have incorporated (on their image search, including the proper search results from mis-spelled entries automatically, etc...) are starting to come together nicely.

Live mail is now solid but still has the banner ad but even so, I like it much better than Gmail.

Sky Drive (Beta) is pretty decent - it does what it says and I haven't had one problem with it yet.

And for their most recent addition - Office Live. It's awesome and MUCH better than Google docs hands down. What really makes Office Live take the cake here is the fact that whatever you upload, the original formatting will stay. You won't see it that way when "previewing" your docs on the site but rest assured that when you DL your docs, the original formatting is 100% intact. Plus, I love how it synchs with my documents at work - very nice.

Their new Calendar has received an overhaul as well - more features, ability to finally create mulitple Calendars, etc....

I love the home.live.com start page as well - nice touch to access all your services from one page (inlcuding mail preview as well as a link to your personalized home page, office live page, etc...).

And what's the biggest thing that suprised me? Their speed. It's improving a little each day.

Still not ready to jump off the Google ship in full just yet but it's looking like it's going to be soon.

Last edited by Rival11; 02-02-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're last "soon" was 2 years ago.
Old 02-02-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FolderShare is pretty awesome, though for some reason they don't list it on the Windows Live site. I've been looking for ways to sync my laptop and home PC so I don't have to shuttle documents and mp3s on a flash drive or email them to myself, and this is the first solution I've found that works without a lot of effort. I especially like that I can sync my mail folders without having to use IMAP, which I've always felt was inferior to POP3.