Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need DSL wireless home networking help

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-06, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

currently have BellSouth DSL using a SpeedTouch USB modem. I just built my son a computer and I would like to share the DSL connection... I know I have to dump the SpeedTouch USB modem.

I could easily call BellSouth to come out and setup, but I think that will cost me about $100 (includes hardware). I have yet to call and find out, but nothing from BellSouth is cheap.

My son's room has a phone jack, but its a separate line (A) and I have DSL on house line (B) - so I can't use existing telephone wires. My house is older and is not fitted with ethernet cable and I don't want to run 100 ft. of cable - so I can't use wired ethernet. My only logical option is wireless.

I was looking into the 2Wire HomePortal 1000HW (DSL modem/wireless router/firewall) for $25 on eBay - this is also the brand BellSouth currently uses (model number depends on needs).

Can someone tell me if this is correct?
1. connect DSL modem to phone jack
2. connect DSL modem to computer 1 (ethernet or USB)
3. configure network/router
4. install 802.11b wireless network card into computer 2
5. connect to network

Is this pretty much my best bet? I can do it myself for less than $50... I have some light experience with setting up wireless networks as I setup my office with Linksys Cable Modem + Wireless-G Router.

Any input appreciated.
Old 06-18-06, 08:39 AM
Retired

That's pretty much it. It's very simple, just buy the router and network adaptor for the second comptuer and follow the instructions.

The modem won't hook up directly to computer 1, but rather directly to the router.

Phone line to modem, ethernet cable from modem to router, ethernet cable from router to computer 1, and computer 2 connects wirelessly will be the set up.
Old 06-19-06, 01:18 AM

Thanks

BTW: the DSL modem doubles as a wireless router, too...
Old 06-19-06, 07:57 AM

Your description is exactly how I set up my network at home except I'd suggest using 802.11g rather that 802.11b. The 802.11b protocol is much slower and won't allow you as much future expansion room. 802.11g supports up to 54Mpbs
Old 06-19-06, 08:11 AM
Retired

If you a modem/router combo, then all you need to do is set that up, and buy a wireless adapater for the second computer and you'll be good to go.

No need for a seperate wireless router.