Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Apple compatibility?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-16-06, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering buying a Mac laptop. They have a good deal now where if you buy a computer, you get a free ipod. I was wondering has anyone had any problems with software compatibility between a PC and a mac? I have a gateway desktop, but I am concerned about transferring files between the two computers. I plan on buying the microsoft office package for the mac.
Old 06-16-06, 02:02 AM

What kind of software are you going to be wanting to use?

There is also this software called Move2Mac that allows you to easily transfer data over from your PC to the Mac via a USB cable I believe.

Here is the link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.0.3
Old 06-16-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I've never had problems opening files made on one or the other and then transferring them.

The only issue like that I(and everyone I know with a mac) have is email. When emailing an attachment from a mac, two files come through on the PC and only one of them is a valid file. Strange, I'm sure someone could clue me in on that though.
Old 06-16-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had any problems moving files back and forth and I've been doing it for years. It would probably help to know what kind of files you're talking about, though. I'm not a heavy Office user, for example, so I wouldn't know if there were any obscure gotchas when using that software.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The only issue like that I(and everyone I know with a mac) have is email. When emailing an attachment from a mac, two files come through on the PC and only one of them is a valid file. Strange, I'm sure someone could clue me in on that though.
I've never heard of that, but I've been using Eudora for over a decade so I don't use Mail. Still, I've been on the receiving end via PC and not seen that. Odd.
Old 06-16-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Most of my office is on PC and I'm on a Mac. I have no problems with typical Office documents, nor do I have the "multiple attachment" problem with Mail.

The only issues that come up are with extremely complex Excel documents our VP makes. Because the documents access other files over the network, the Visual Basic needs to be reprogrammed for it to get to the right place from a Mac.

Other than that I've had no problems.
Old 06-16-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the resource fork which Windows doesn't support. You can alleviate this in Mail by setting it to "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments" under the Edit menu.
Old 06-20-06, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input. I am still a student, so the files that I am mainly concerned with are Microsoft office documents and Adobe acrobat files. I have heard about some email issues like described above, but also some people not being able to open attachments. These are really minor problems I guess, but if I am going to spend the money, I would like to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. If you are a mac user, can you please leave me your opinion on their computers? Thanks
Old 06-21-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I started using Macs again for work a few years ago. I was a hardcore PC builder until recently. We're talking case mods, arcade machines, modded X-box, you name it. But I got tired of dealing with Windows and I found that the Mac was a much better tool to do the things I want to do with computers, namely video editing, photos, music and web stuff.

People always complain about the high price of Macs. I bought a Mac Mini for home use, which came with iLife. To buy a comparable suite of applications for the PC would be hundreds of dollars at least, and I've used a variety of PC-based video editing programs, none of which compared to iMovie. The iLife integration is the number one reason I love my Mac.

The other reason is OS X. I love that searching for files on my computer with Spotlight also looks at the texts in my emails. I love that I can install an application by dragging an icon to the application folder (and uninstall that app by dragging that same icon to the trash.) I love that the Mac has a built in automation program which backs up my folders to an external drive at night and puts the computer to sleep. I love that I can plug my camera into the computer, have it be instantly recognized, see iPhoto open and ask me if I want to import the pictures, and after importion I can click on a photo and choose to mail a smaller version to my family. I know there are similar things on a PC, but I didn't have to download and install anything, it was already on the computer when I got it.

That's why I love my Mac.
Old 06-21-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also remember that the MacBooks now (sort of) support dual booting with WinXP. I wouldn't be too worried about compatibility, they're closer to PCs than ever.

Also, unless I'm mistaken the Mac will still use Microsoft Office and Acrobat for those sorts of files.