Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with recovery discs?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-15-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually build my own computers, but a few months ago I decided to get a Dell because of time restraints. Now I'm getting to the point where I want to reinstall Windows, which necesitates using their recovery CD. I've made a couple of hardware changes to the system (added a hard drive and changed the video card). Will the recovery CD be able to handle this? My worst fear is that it's going to do something insane like erase the secondary hard drive I added.

I asked Dell support, and they had no idea, which was reassuring.
Old 06-15-06, 10:45 AM

I'm not sure either, but if you're that worried about it, just to be safe, unhook the second drive, until you're finished reinstalling................
Old 06-15-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It will install on the partition Dell made for the windows install. You will have to put the video drivers in afterwards to get the video to work right. If you are worried about the second hard drive just unhook it.
Old 06-15-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was leaning towards unhooking the drive, so that's probably what I'll do.
Old 06-15-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking about the purple/red recovery dell cd? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It is pretty similar to a regular XP install cd and it doesn't prompt you to enter your cd key and should not ask you to activate anything. It should work fine as long you didn't change the motherboard.
Old 06-15-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing - to make things easier, copy the drivers folder from the c drive to a flash drive or something and put it back after the reinstall is done. It's easier than using the blue drivers cd.
Old 06-15-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks.

So how does it put all that crappy free software back on? That's included in the install, I take it.
Old 06-15-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nope. not since last time I used it which was last year. it was a clean install.
Old 06-15-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even better! Thanks.
Old 06-15-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, let us know if it worked. I'd be curious if they changed things recently but I don't think they have.
Old 06-16-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep- worked fine, just like a clean install. Only odd thing was the few minutes of "application" installing, but I'm not sure what that was, as there aren't any programs on my system that don't come with Windows.
Old 06-16-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I noticed that Dell was now charging separately for those "recovery" CDs. Something like $8 - still not too bad - but would suck if someone missed that option and needed it later.
Old 06-16-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? That's terrible. I actually lost mine and had to get these replacements shipped to me and I wasn't charged. I have an XPS so I get the "premium" support.
Old 06-23-06, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
I think I noticed that Dell was now charging separately for those "recovery" CDs. Something like $8 - still not too bad - but would suck if someone missed that option and needed it later.
I am one! I just got a new Inspiron 6400 laptop and I do not have a recovery CD since I am too cheap to pay for it. But now I regret it because I want to reformat and repartition the hard drive.

The hard disk is already partitioned to C (65 GB) and D (20 GB) drives, but I prefer to have a smaller C drive for running programs and a larger D drive for storing data.

I also realize the laptop includes a trial version of Norton Ghost. Can I use it to make a Recovery CD or I have to order an original CD from Dell?

Finally, I also wonder is it true that a 100 GB hard disk only had 85 GB left after it is formatted. It seems a little low to me. I expect it to be at least 90 GB after formatted.

I am sorry of straying this off topic. But thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 06-23-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the new change as that it'd include a ghost trial but I thought they would at least make a windows image themselves before sending it off to their customers.

Take another look around the cd packs - it might be there. If not, then yeah, you'd have to make the image cd or dvd yourself which could be also nother problem if you don't have a burner around.

Wouldn't hurt to call dell and try see if fyou can order the cd since it's not expensive.

I have a toshiba "recovery" image dvd which includes windows and a few other apps like windvd but haven't actually used it since I have an xp pro cd. I think it works just by putting in the cd and have it boot first and push the c key and it'll delete all partitions on the primary hd and format. So be careful about that if there's an image cd/dvd from dell.

Not sure how to calculate the the hard drive storage capacity but 85/100 gb does sound a bit off.

Last edited by Ranger; 06-23-06 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

dell charges $10 for a plain windows CD with their computers