Reload this Page >

Newbie C++ qestion - What's a listing?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-14-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a C++ class this summer. It hasn't started yet, but I'm trying to get a jump on things because I'm going to miss the first week.

I know this has to be a simple thing, but I can't figure out what "a listing of the program" means. It's something we have to turn in. Google and my books are not helping (other than demonstrating that it's a common homework request), Presumably the instructor explains this in one of the classes I'm going to miss. I've seen a few programming questions pop up here before, and I know this has to be a simple one, so I figured I'd give ol' DVDTalk a shot. If someone here could clue me in or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-06, 01:46 PM

It's just a print out of your code.
Old 06-14-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah! Thank you.
Old 06-15-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL
Listing has nothing to do with C++ BTW.
The word is associated with programming in general.
Old 06-16-06, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by kitkat
Ah! Thank you.
I would strongly recommend you not to skip too many classes. Judging from your question, I think it is safe to assume you haven't done too much programming yet (if not, you'd know what a listing is), and C++ can be challenging especially if this is your first language you learn.

Good luck. You're on the path of experiencing a lot of fun.
Old 06-16-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, I don't think it is such an absurd question for someone just taking their first programming class. The answer just happened to have nothing to do with programming, per se, which is why it wasn't in the book. Now if it had been about includes, constructs, or polymorphism would it have been any more of an acceptable question?
Old 06-16-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again, and don't worry about me. I'm not stupid, just very new to programming and not up on the lingo. In my very tiny amount of previous experience, listing was referred to as "print out a copy of your code."

Anyway, I was just doing the first week's reading and homework ahead of time since I won't be there. I'm doing fine, btw, (so far) and it is a lot of fun.