Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Weird Lag Problem

Old 06-14-06, 09:15 AM

Weird Lag Problem

My home network has a wireless router (i believe the Motorolla SB8100 or something close to that) that is directly wired to a main PC. When I play Starcraft wirelessly from my laptop (with a good connection) there is absolutely no lag. However, when I play it from the main computer that is directly wired to the router there is significant Lag. I believe it may have to do with the odds and ends that have stayed on the computer through the years because I keep my laptop very clean. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this lag problem? Or even where to possibly start? Thanks
Old 06-14-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
It sounds like you have a shload of malware on your PC. You could start with updating the OS patches, installing an running an antivirus application (AVG is free), and doing the same with one or more antispyware apps (Microsoft Defender, SpyBot). Good Luck.

BTW, how is Blacksburg these days?
Old 06-14-06, 08:26 PM

Tried those and only caught some tracking cookies. I think there may be some programs running in the background that we no longer use, but not sure whats the easiest way to check that out aside from searching every process in the task manager.

Blacksburg was great, I just graduated in May so sadly for me my time there is up. Loved every minute of it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back there for a football game or two this Fall. So much construction going on there lately though, if you haven't been there in the past 2 or 3 years you may not completely recognize the area. A lot of new buildings keep springing up everywhere.