Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

possibly dumb Q about laptop and battery

Old 06-11-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

possibly dumb Q about laptop and battery

Since I work on my laptop at home plugged in alot, can/should I remove the fully charged battery when I use it plugged in? Will this help prolong my battery life? Is this question really a no brainer?
Old 06-12-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes it depends on the battery.The Litium Ion one are smart and do not overcharge.I used to remove my laptop batteries because I only use the laptop on my workdesk.After a while I tried to plug the battery and use it,but the effect was not so good.It could not sustain the charge and keep me for the full 2 hour it was intended.So once you charge the battery it will gradually lose some of it's capacity.Better just use without removing.
Old 06-12-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As far as I know you just have to make sure the battery has been charged for a long time the first time you charge it so that it's per charge life is at a max. Regardless of how you use it though, they have a life of about 2.5 to 3.5 years.

Info from here: http://www.dansdata.com/gz042.htm
It's actually a good read ( and so is the rest of the site) if you're into electronics and gadgets.

Whether you use it hard or leave it on the shelf, there's a good chance a LiI battery will be so degraded as to be pretty much useless after a couple of years. And that's a couple of years after it's made, not a couple of years after you buy it.
Old 06-12-06, 09:10 AM
Retired

Yeah, it shouldn't matter if you leave it in.

The one in my laptop is completely useless now, lasts about 5 minutes. I'm getting a desktop and giving the laptop away as I rarely use it off my desk anymore anyway.

Time range is about right, 2.5 years or so it started to really drop faster and faster, 3 years or so completely useless, so I guess that's the norm. Never was a great battery in the Inspiron 2650 to begin with though, only 2.5 hours or so on full charge at the outset.
Old 06-12-06, 02:25 PM
lxl

5-minute makes a good UPS