Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Software that upconverts DVDs on a PC connected to HDMI?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-11-06, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure there'll be a reason why this isn't possible, and I'd appreciate an explanation if so, but if I have a laptop with a DVD drive and a DVI output connected to the HDMI port on my TV, is it in any way possible to upconvert DVDs to 1080i in the same way many standalone DVD players do? And if so, what software would do it?

Cheers

Mark
Old 06-11-06, 11:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any software player will be upconverting if you have the DVI output resolution set to 1080i. It's really a function of your video card/chip, not the playing software.
Old 06-12-06, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. So if I run a DVD on my Dell 9300 with 6800 Go GFX card, DVI out to HDMI (and with resolution set to 1080i), I'll be getting the same experience as astandalone Upconverting DVD player?
Old 06-12-06, 10:34 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on how good the laptop's video section is as well as the overall video quality of the software player. I don't know if the video quality on that laptop would be the same as if you added a 6800 card to a desktop. The best thing to do is try it out.

I have upconverted with an HTPC and saw just a small improvement in quality over non-upconverting on it. But the video quality overall was comparable to a highend standalone player.