Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

So is Dual Core and 64bit a good option now or should one wait?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-11-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realistically, how long will it take for software companies to start taking advantage of this tech on a wide scale?? Or will the dual core and 64bit hardware automatically take current software and optimise it?
I think I understand the hardware but don't know much about the software developement side of it.
I'm guessing it will be like the MMX technology that was hyped up but wasn't widely taken advantage of for a year or so after it's release.
Old 06-11-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dual core is definitely worth it. The processors (especially the AMDs) are lightiing fast, and even if the software isn't threaded to use dual cores, they help immensely in multitasking. Unless you're on a painfully tight budget, getting a dual core processor is the only logical choice.
Old 06-11-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So dual core makes a difference even if the software isn't designed to take advantage of it?
Would I be correct in saying, for example, that a virus scan won't slow down other apps a lot if I have dual core?
Old 06-12-06, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by fmian
So dual core makes a difference even if the software isn't designed to take advantage of it?
Would I be correct in saying, for example, that a virus scan won't slow down other apps a lot if I have dual core?

Dual core means you've effectively two processors so two processor heavy applications can run in parrallel without impacting each other.

However you specifically mentioned virus scans, which are very disk intensive. It would depend what else you were trying to run alongside it but in general it will still impact your machine as it would limit the amount of disk access available to other processes.

My AMD FX-60 Dual Core system arrives this Saturday
Old 06-12-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

However, do be aware that dual-core CPU's are truly useful primarily under Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional or some Linux distributions, since the operating system sees the system as having two CPU's natively.