Reload this Page >

recommend a digital camera with great indoor pic quality

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-10-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been somewhat disappointed with both a Canon and Sony models in the past, in regards to indoor picture quality.

It seems to be a problem with lower light situations...the pics just weren't bright enough, seemed "washed out".

Granted, those models were both 2 years old.

Can anyone recommend a good digital camera, above 4 MP, with at least 3X optical zoom, the smaller the better, and between $200-300...and most importantly, one that takes very sharp, bright images in lower light situations.
Old 06-11-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fuji makes the best point and shoot low light cameras by far. Check out the F10/11/30.
Old 06-11-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slateef
I've been somewhat disappointed with both a Canon and Sony models in the past, in regards to indoor picture quality.

It seems to be a problem with lower light situations...the pics just weren't bright enough, seemed "washed out".

Granted, those models were both 2 years old.

Can anyone recommend a good digital camera, above 4 MP, with at least 3X optical zoom, the smaller the better, and between $200-300...and most importantly, one that takes very sharp, bright images in lower light situations.
No offense but are you sure it is the camera and not the person behind it? While a 2 year old digital camera is old by computer standards, it is not that old.

I take a look at the manuals that came with your camera. Maybe there are settings you can try (exposure compensation, flash adjustment, etc). Then google some digital photography forums and see who has had similar problems.

In General Canon, Sony make fine point & shoot digital cameras. Sure some are better then others. I'm personally more of a Nikon, Olympus fan, but not sure they are truely better. Just what I'm use to. I use mainly an Olympus due to its size. It is rather harsh with indoor flash so I stuck a piece of frosted scotch tape over the flash that helps some. But it does reduce flash distance (which wasn't that great to begin with). Also even tho it says flash works 4 to 15 feet the real range is much smaller say 7-8 feet. In that small range flash works well....
Old 06-11-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Sony DSCV3 has a "Nightshot" infared mode that allows you to take sharp pics in near-darkness (green "nightvision") and "Nightframing" that allows you to take surprisingly good flash regular pics in very low light. It also takes generally very good pics indoors, but given varying indoor lighting conditions, both modes are helpful.