Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

CD/DVD drive not working - can someone point me in the right direction?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-10-06, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the right place but if someone can tell me where to go to trouble shoot this, I would appreciate it.

I have 2 DVD drives, one only a reader, the other a burner. I have noticed lately that the reader one is essentially non-functional. SHouldnt be because I dont use it all that often. Anyway, when I put in a CD it revs up as if its going to read it, but then nothing ever happens. When I go under My Computer and double click that drive (D drive), it says "Please Insert a disc into drive D" even though there is one in there.

The only thing I can think of that may have set this off was that I added a hard drive like 6 months ago. But I went back in, and all the cables seem to be working fine... as I said, the drive accepts power and even seems to recognize that a disc is in there, it just doesnt read the disc and I cant get any data from the drive.

Would the installation of a hard drive cause and slave/master conflicts with the disc drives? Is there something else Im missing? I dont use this drive much, but would like a functioning drive if possible.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 06-11-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my reader only sucks, granetd it was the cheap option when I bought a dell to use for parts, but it still sucks
won't read many commercially made discs, does some of the same stuff yours does
probably just a crappy made drive