Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need urgent help recovering some files

Old 06-08-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need urgent help recovering some files

I just reinstalled XP on a new drive while the old drive is is still on the computer. The old drive is in a RAID0 striped configuration and had My Documents on there, which HEAPS of my personal files on there.
Once the OS was installed I expected to be able to go into My Documents on the old drive and access my old files. However, when I try to do this I get a message saying access is denied. I can access all other parts of this drive, just not the My Documents folder.
Does anyone know how to unlock this folder so I can get at the old files??

I need to do this urgently as all my drivers, personal photos and a whole bunch of other stuff is on there. I can't afford to lose this stuff.
Old 06-08-06, 09:06 AM

Are you able to boot up to the OS on the old drive?
Old 06-08-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nevermind. I think I got it fixed by reading the following page.
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...ts-folder.html
Old 06-08-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be able to right click on the folder, go to "properties", then "security", then click the "advanced" button and go to "Owner" and select the account you are using, and check the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box. Then click "ok" and "ok"

that should reset permissions on that folder.
Old 06-08-06, 09:14 AM

From your description I'm guessing the old dirive used to be your C: boot drive.

The "My Documents" folder was marked as being private to you only as logged in. On the plus side the data should still be there unaffected by what you've done.

If I'm right that used to be your C: drive then hopefully you've not yet deleted the operating system from it. If you haven't then things are easy to fix. First reboot the machine using the old drive. Once done you'll be able to access the "My Documents" folder you can then

a) Remove the private flag meaning you'll be able to access it when booted from the other drive

or

b) simply copy the documents out into another, non-private directory

However you should also check whether you just set the directory as private or files as well. If you've also set files as private you'll need to reset all of them or even when you can see the files you still wouldn't be able to read them from your new drive.

If you've already deleted the operating system from the old drive then things are likely to be far more difficult.