Reload this Page >

Windows Vista Public Beta

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-08-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's open to the public! Better download it (or order it on DVD) before they change their minds...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/default.mspx

It's good until July 2007. Will probably be fun to try if you have an extra hard drive or computer lying around. I ordered the DVD as I'm in no rush and I don't have a DVD burner.
Old 06-08-06, 02:53 AM

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Old 06-08-06, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
As someone mentioned in the IE7 beta thread...

Beta and Microsoft are two words that don't go good together..

In additon, there's no way i'm paying $6 for a BETA disc.
Old 06-08-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give it a whirl on an extra machine, though my 768k DSL, won't like that download
Old 06-08-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's crap, stay away! Hardly anything works, I put it on a virtual machine and it had a hell of a time even doing the most basic of functions.
Old 06-08-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lateralus
It's crap, stay away! Hardly anything works, I put it on a virtual machine and it had a hell of a time even doing the most basic of functions.
Mmm, I wouldn't put it on a virtual machine. The raw hardware requirements are pretty heavy and I would imagine ANY overhead on the OS would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. You have to remember there's probably a lot of junk code still in there to help programmers debug and fix stuff as they go through the beta. I for one, am looking forward to the final product and I'll reserve judgement for that time. The main thing I wish they would've been able to implement was the new file system. Oh well, maybe Windows 2020 will have it.
Old 06-08-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
As someone mentioned in the IE7 beta thread...

Beta and Microsoft are two words that don't go good together..

In additon, there's no way i'm paying $6 for a BETA disc.
I would. I see it as better entertainment than a movie and movies are over $8 nowadays.
Old 06-08-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what their bandwidth costs will be.
Old 06-08-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got it installed, but can't really do anything with it. McAfee won't install or the Novell client. Haven't tried Office or anything else yet. I can browse the web, and it looks pretty though...

I tried installing it on a Dell GX240 with 512 RAM, but it wouldn't. It would start the file copy then bomb out. Ended up installing it on a Gateway Profile 2.8 Ghz with 512 RAM. Pretty sluggish with only 512.

Last edited by bralph; 06-08-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a hard drive dock so I'll just slap in the extra 60 gig I have and see what happens. Looks like it's going to take me about 2 hours to download it.
Old 06-08-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hold on.

Is this the super-duper-omg-ultimate version or the regular super-duper-ultimate-home version?

I think I'm just going to hold out on this one. But I did try the beta wmp 11 and it is okay. Nothing special but the dark blue vista skin is neat.
Old 06-08-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, seeing as they weren't even prepared for the download demand, I think I'm gonna end up passing and let somebody else be their guinea pig...
Old 06-08-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can someone tell me possibly WHY Microsoft didn't plan for this download. Makes me wonder about Vista.
Old 06-08-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd give microsoft a break about the download speeds since it's still early.

Has anyone had problems getting their cd keys now? I thought they weren't supposed to be given oout til July.

What's the ISO size anyway?
Old 06-08-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it was any other company I'd give them some slack, but c'mon, it's Microsoft.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-08-06 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked it up and it's 2.6 GB. That is pretty big. I love the dark blue folder look and gray windows style but it seems like it's still going to be a pretty bloated os.

My win xp pro slipstream cd is under 700mb.
Old 06-09-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

3.5GB the last time I checked. This is going to be the WHALE of Operating Systems. But I will have to try it on my new Xeon 3.6GHz board.
Old 06-09-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ps - what does the boot screen look like?

Something like this?
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Ykcab/PCS...stapreview.png
Old 06-11-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
my experience was a bit different. i installed and am running vista in a vmware 5.5 VM (512MB of assigned memory, 20GB of disk space). the base system is an AMD athlon 3200+ with one 1GB of memory. i have had no problems running IE or the office 2007 beta. granted, i have not been doing any heavy duty tasks, but i have not noticed any unusual slowdowns that would not be expected in a VM.
Old 06-12-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I downloaded this beta a couple days ago and installed it on my second hard drive.

The good: I love the fact that I could install this on my second hard drive in my system and didn't even have to lose the contents on that drive. I'm able to dual-boot into either WindowsXP or Vista without a hitch--I just choose when my machine starts. The interface is definately pretty and the usability seems to be simplified in some respects.

The bad: At this point, I can't see anything about Vista that would make me want it. So it looks prettier than XP...that's about it. The other things that intrigued me most--Windows Media Player and some of the new bundled software such as photo editing--are things I can either currently download for XP, get better versions by buying a competitor or using freeware. For instance, if you have Yahoo! Widgets, who needs the sidebar?

The ugly: Honestly, I can't believe Microsoft released this beta to the public. I can't see anything in it that would turn anyone on to Vista. Moreover, on my system, a lot of my hardware--including my network card!--which were "natively" recognized and installed in XP won't even run. Yes, I've downloaded the latest Vista beta drivers, etc, but only my Audigy 2 sound card worked after that. Can't test much out if you can't even get half of your hardware to work.

All in all, not that impressed. And this comes from someone who generally really likes Microsoft products. I have a feeling the next beta will be much more impressive...at least I hope so, or for the first time I may actually consider skipping an upgrade of a generation of Windows.
Old 06-12-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kms_md
my experience was a bit different. i installed and am running vista in a vmware 5.5 VM (512MB of assigned memory, 20GB of disk space). the base system is an AMD athlon 3200+ with one 1GB of memory. i have had no problems running IE or the office 2007 beta. granted, i have not been doing any heavy duty tasks, but i have not noticed any unusual slowdowns that would not be expected in a VM.
Oh it runs like a charm under virtual machine, but even for my basic necessities it did not do what I wanted it to do. I don't remember the exact problems but I don't even think I could get the wireless working. To be honest I did try it probably back in early March so it could have gotten better, but I'm pretty sure it was beta 2. I remember I had the same experience with Windows XP, so I am still looking forward to Vista but only when the final version is available.
Old 07-03-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard on TWiT that MS has stopped allowing new downloads and may stop allowing activation of new BETA keys soon. If you're like me and got a key when this was first announced, but haven't bothered to install it or even DL it yet (I couldn't at the time anyway), then it might be a good time to do so. I got a hold of the latest build and am going to try it now. I was going to wait for RC1, but I don't know if that will be an option now.
Old 07-03-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm posting from Vista now. The "Welcome Center" said my computer had a "performance rating" of 3. Curious, I decided to find out more. It took me to a "Performance Rating" page that gave my 2GHZ AMD XP a 3.3, 1GB memory 3.5, etc..only it never bothers to say what these numbers mean, or even what the scale is.

My HD seems to have been chugging away since I booted it, and the system seems pretty sluggish, so hopefully it is doing some 1 time indexing or something....Checking the new Resource Monitor (pretty neat) it shows dfrgNTSF is the culprit. I guess I'm lucky then that Vista didn't mount any other disks than the one I installed it on.... I see now that it is because Vista doesn't have the drivers for the RAID cards they use.

I have a 9550 and the Aero stuff is neat, but nothing to write home about. There are some issues like flashing when scrolling webpages, but overall it's not bad. Aside from the general sluggishness moving windows around, alt-tabbing and other Areo stuff seems to run pretty well, even for such a low end 3D card.

I'm tying to delete some files now and it says it will take 9 days 11 hours....
Old 07-04-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sooooo, we'll see you in about 9 days? Say it ain't so!
Old 07-04-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm back.

Explorer decided to stop deleting files after I confirmed that I wanted to delete them, so I can't delete read only, system, program, etc anything that would give you an "are you sure?" prompt. I tried using the trusty CMD prompt, but it told me I didn't have permission to delete the files, even though I'm an administrator. So I gave up until I go back into XP...

I'm about to leave vista after playing around for a while. The partition I put this on was mostly a scratch/temp/workspace partition and since most of my data is on my raid drives there's not a lot to keep me here. Besides my #1 and #2 top interests in Vista is stability and performance, which are the two things a beta tells you very little about. Once things calmed down I do have to say the performance was pretty good. Granted I wasn't doing much besides web browsing and having a lot of system windows open, but the system seems as snappy as XP. Of course my XP is pretty bloated and this is a fresh install, but from a base performance level it's not nearly as bad as some would make it. I switched from Glass to Classic and didn't notice any significant speed change.

Also, I should point out I'm using build 5456, not the Beta 2. This was just released a few days ago and according to Paul Thurrott's review it's much improved. He also mentions it is not availble to the general public yet (shh!) but I was able to install and activate it using my public Beta 2 Key.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.