Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with Outlook and vanishing emails

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-08-06, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago I built my parents their first computer and my Mom has virtually destroyed every program she uses. She calls me all the time and me or my wife has to drive over there and fix it. She operates the mouse like a drunk driver and is always spastically clicking where she shouldn't.

I usually get calls every other day from her and Today as usual I had to fix Outlook. I have never seen anyone accidentally configure the "look" of this program the way she had. I got pretty much everthing back the way she had it including getting all 28 of her friends out of the "Junk Email Senders" list.

Anyway the problem that I have and can't fix is that everytime she selects an email from the inbox and finishes reading it, it dissappears when she clicks the next one.

I'm assuming they're being completely deleted, cause I can't find any of the ones that are dissappearing anywhere in Outlook.

Can anyone tell me how to keep this from happening?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't seem to recall Outlook have this kind of "feature." Could this be a malware/trojan?
Old 06-08-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds like the messages could be archiving to a .pst or .ost file.
Old 06-08-06, 06:57 PM

There is an archive folder in the left column where the "Personal Folders" are, but there's nothing in it.

My Father is logged on the same computer and his emails aren't doing this. Makes me think my Mom has clicked something she shouldn't have. I'm going over there to look at it again tonight and check to see if she accidently created some sort of weird rule.

P.S. Can you remove the archive folder? If so how?

Thanks
Old 06-08-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WOWZY
There is an archive folder in the left column where the "Personal Folders" are, but there's nothing in it.

My Father is logged on the same computer and his emails aren't doing this. Makes me think my Mom has clicked something she shouldn't have. I'm going over there to look at it again tonight and check to see if she accidently created some sort of weird rule.

P.S. Can you remove the archive folder? If so how?

Thanks
Is this the full Outlook or Outlook Express?
Old 06-08-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
outlook at work was set to move stuff from the main inbox to another inbox listed under my name for a while
can't remember where I had to go to change that
this sounds similar
if I remember and have time I'll look around tomorrow at work
I refuse to install outlook on my pc
Old 06-09-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could the View on her Inbox be set to "Unread messages in this folder"? If it's set like this Outlook will immediately hide the message once it's opened or previewed since it then considers the message read. It doesn't delete the message just filters it from the current view.