Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

XP Professional upgrade hangs at 34 minutes - help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-07-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, my work provides software upgrade for home computers, and I took advantage (or so I thought) of upgrading Windows XP Home Edition to XP Professional. After fighting with the initial setup over a SYS file it could not copy until I booted in Safe Mode, I finally got the Setup to start.

I get through Preparing installation, and into Installing Windows. The progress bar notes I get into Installing Devices about 3/4 way through, and to the dreaded 34 minutes remaining time, and then it just hangs.

I checked Microsoft's site, and it is useless. The problem is documented, but no real solution is given. It suggests rebooting many times - I have at least 10 times. It suggests removing every bit of hardware that is not needed from the computer, which I did - nothing in it but an old graphics card (Geforce 2) so I can see what is going on.

My system has plenty of memory - over a gig. I have over 5 GB free on my main HD, and a second HD at over 150 GB. I have a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz.

Here is the link to the Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267/en-us

In it, it says to check for a Pnplog.txt file to check for hardware errors. It is there, but I have not idea how to view it through the command prompt, or what other hardware I could possibly remove.

It also notes to "Disable items in the basic input/output system (BIOS), such as ports or power management features, and on-board devices that are not required for setup to complete, such as modems." Huh?

I am unable to stop the installation, or do anything. Please, oh wonderous tech gurus of DVDTalk, what can I do? I would be happy just stopping the installation and keeping my old os at this point.

"Fix it, fix it, fix it!"

Last edited by SunMonkey; 06-07-06 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
"type Pnplog.txt | more"
without the quotes
more keeps it from scrolling through the whole thing
enter will advnace 1 line, space advances a page from what I could tell in the little test I just did
Old 06-07-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
"type Pnplog.txt | more"
without the quotes
more keeps it from scrolling through the whole thing
enter will advnace 1 line, space advances a page from what I could tell in the little test I just did
Thank you. That worked for reading the logs. If only they made any sense to me.

Ok, the Setuperr.log notes many times "Error: Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security. An extended error has occurred."

The Setupact.log was huge, but I saw little I recognized in it. It mentions that some DLL files cannot be deleted because they cannot be found.

With the Pnplog.txt notes, the last few lines make mention of the ATI Remote Wonder II. It is not connected to the system.

Anyway, I'm not sure what help all those logs are, but that is all I can tell from them.
Old 06-07-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also just tried booting in Safe Mode (no go for setup) and checking to boot with my old OS (gone).
Old 06-08-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I left the computer on all last night at the 34 minute hang and nothing happened by morning. If anyone has any knowledge on how to fix this, or steps I should try, please let me know.

Or if you have any suggestions on where I should take it to fix it (Geek Squad at Best Buy?), please share them.
Old 06-08-06, 06:51 AM

Did you select the upgrade option or is this a full install? Did you back up any material (emails etc.) before beginning? If you did it's an easy fix, if not it may be difficult.
Old 06-08-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SlartyBart
Did you select the upgrade option or is this a full install? Did you back up any material (emails etc.) before beginning? If you did it's an easy fix, if not it may be difficult.
I selected upgrade. I did not back anything up, although a lot is on my second HD.
Old 06-08-06, 09:07 AM

The pnplog.txt file is, as its name suggests, a log on the upgrade process. As such the key to understanding the problem is almost certainly in the last 10-20 lines of the log as those were the last things written before the machine hung.

If you post those here it may be possible to see what's causing the problem. The most obvious causes are:

a) corrupt software
b) a hardware driver/device not compatible with XP Pro

Hopefully by looking at what the log was trying to do as it hung it should be possible to track down the specific device responsible.

If your machine works without the upgrade it might be worth checking through all the device drivers and looking to see which, if any, need updating.
Old 06-08-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are the last few lines of the Pnplog.txt (I am transcribing them from the other computer, so I hope I get them right):

USB\Vid_0471&Pid_0602\5&384f3d3%0%3=USB Composite Device
IDE\CdRomLITEON_DVD-ROM_LTD163_______________GDHA____\5&7208d00&0&0.0.0=CD-ROM Drive
IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_CD-RW_GCE-8400B_______________B104____\5&7208d00&0&0.1.0=CD-ROM Drive
V1394\NIC1394\1490f4465042a1=1394 Net Adapter
USB\Vid_0471&Pid_0602&MI_00\6&f2aa8cf&0&0000=ATI Remote Wonder II Pointing Device
USB\Vid_0471&Pid_0602&MI_01\6&f2aa8cf&0&0001=ATI Remote Wonder II Input Device
STORAGE\Volume\1&30a96598&0&Signature41172BA5Offset7E00Length1F58A00-Generic volume
[LegacyDevice]
ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0=Ports <COM & LPT>
Ok. If it is the ATI Remote Wonder drivers causing this (I believe it since the hardware has been terribly buggy even with the most recent drivers), how do I get rid of the drivers through the command prompt? I do not have access to anything else on that computer that I know how to use (and I don't even know how to use the prompt much).
Old 06-08-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I just deleted ati*.* from the Windows\System32 folder and the entire ATI folder off of the C: drive.... let's see what that does.
Old 06-08-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sigh. Where else can I look for this driver?
Old 06-08-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found the Windows\inf folder and killed all ATI files....
Old 06-08-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No luck with that. Where else I can look?
Old 06-08-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What is your reason for upgrading from Home to Pro?

Not that it matters now, but at this point you might as well do a nuke and pave, i.e. full install. Get a bootable linux cd and copy any files you might want to keep from your c drive to your extra drive, if it's formatted FAT32. Or, if you've got two cd-roms, you can use one to boot the linux cd and the other as the burner, in which case you can back up files, including emails, so that you won't lose them to the new install.

Make any sense?
Old 06-08-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alvis
What is your reason for upgrading from Home to Pro?

Not that it matters now, but at this point you might as well do a nuke and pave, i.e. full install. Get a bootable linux cd and copy any files you might want to keep from your c drive to your extra drive, if it's formatted FAT32. Or, if you've got two cd-roms, you can use one to boot the linux cd and the other as the burner, in which case you can back up files, including emails, so that you won't lose them to the new install.

Make any sense?
I was upgrading because of an audio/video sync problem with the TV Tuner in the ATI video card. Microsoft has a hotfix for the problem, which I guess tied to a problem with the internal clock or something. But, they will only give it for XP Pro. It's Funny that it is likely that card's junk software that is causing the problems.

I think I understand the process. I'll see if I can create a Linux boot disk on my laptop....
Old 06-08-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
are there any usb devices still connected?
Old 06-08-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
are there any usb devices still connected?
None, not even the keyboard or mouse.

I created a Linux boot disc, and I figured out how to boot with it...

[[email protected]:~]#

huh? This isn't going to be easy.... At least I can play Boggle now.
Old 06-08-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I found through ATI's site a suggestion on removing their junk manually, and part of it was removing the registry entries. I was able to run Regedit through the command prompt, and get to these entries to delete them. However, the entries reappear when I reboot. ? Whatever....

Before doing this, I tried to export my original registry and found that through the Export Registry File window that came up I have access to my drives and files in a limited fashion. I am copying everything to my back-up HD as I type.

Once that is done, what do I need to do to start a full install (nuke and pave)? Do I just boot from the XP Pro installation disc?
Old 06-08-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I really don't know what to write about this. As I noted, I was copying over files to my second HD. While that was working, I went to watch a DVD. I just checked on the transfer to find the computer was rebooting on its own. When Windows loaded, installation was complete. WTH?

Thanks for all the help everyone offered.
Old 06-09-06, 07:00 AM

Glad its all sorted itself out. By the sound of it somewhere along the line the cause of the problem was addressed and so the Windows install was able to complete.