Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How can I backup address book and messages in outlook express?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-07-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you export all of your messages and your address book in outlook express to a file that can be burned on a CD? All I can find in outook express is how to export them to outlook or microsoft exchange. I don't have either of those programs. I need to be able to back them up to a CD. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

your address book is stored in

Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\

There should be a file with .wab extension and its backup file.

As for the mail files, go to

Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\[there should be one/some folder with long digits]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The mail folders are in the .dbx files - each for every folder.

If you want to put your backed up files back into your PC, I guess all you need to do is just copy the files back to its original folder. I never done it with Outlook Express but it works with Thunderbird and MS Outlook.
Old 06-07-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks I'll give it a shot!
Old 06-07-06, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can import both the address book and mail files back into Outlook Express...

It might be a good idea to also back up your mail account settings. In OE: Tools-> Accounts. Click on the mail tab and highlight your email account. On the right side hit Export. This will create a .iaf file that stores your email address, mail servers, etc. Back this file up along with the address book and mail store files. If you need to restore, just go back to the same menu and import the .iaf file.
Old 06-07-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MeatheadBMC
You can import both the address book and mail files back into Outlook Express...

It might be a good idea to also back up your mail account settings. In OE: Tools-> Accounts. Click on the mail tab and highlight your email account. On the right side hit Export. This will create a .iaf file that stores your email address, mail servers, etc. Back this file up along with the address book and mail store files. If you need to restore, just go back to the same menu and import the .iaf file.

Thanks.