Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with an SD card and a Palm Zire

Old 06-06-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Problem with an SD card and a Palm Zire

This is an odd problem and I don't really know a thing about PDAs.

My gf needed to get a storage card for her PDA, a Palm Zire 31. It accepted SD cards, so we got one - a Scandisk 2GB. Put it in her PDA, card not recognized. Put it in her laptop's SD reader - not recognized. Put it in my computer via a USB reader, and it was recognized. I formatted it (FAT32?) and it worked on my computer. Still, nothing with the laptop, nothing with the PDA.

Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

Last edited by The Bus; 06-06-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your own computer does not have a SD reader?

If after formatting, you left it empty as in not putting any files on it, try adding some stuff like picture or text files and see if the pda or the other laptop sees it.
Old 06-07-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, SD cards have some specific formating information that comes on the card. I f you format it in a PC then try to use it in a portable device you can have access issues. If you format in a PC and always use in a PC, then it is fine.

That explains the PDA part of it anyway. The laptop part, I have no idea from the info given.

Too bad it is a 2gb card. Panasonic has a utility out there that will 'fix' the format of SD cards, but it only works to 1GB capacity.

I am going to give you the link anyway, but be warned your card will be 1gb after you use it

http://www.sdcard.org/Downloads.aspx

The reason this is helpful is in one case I was playing with a 2gb SD card that was hosed. I was able to use the panasonic utility to format it as a 1gb card, the portable device then recognized it and formatted it as a 2gb card and everything was fine - YMMV and don't blame me if the card is permanently 1GB, there is risk here