Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Considering partial Mac-ism .. websites, software, where to start?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-02-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering a macbook pro as my next laptop if they can get the heat problem resolved. It sounds pretty bad when you read about it online.

Can some mactivists point me to some good sites with mac-freeware, discussion forums etc etc?
Old 06-02-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the apple discussion forums are a good place to start. for general mac info and commentary, i start with daring fireball. you can find links to tons of freeware at versiontracker.
Old 06-02-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Links in this thread
Old 06-04-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought a MBP in May and I officially shut down my Windows PC at home this weekend. It's now packed in a box hopefully never to be opened again. I am even using my MAC at work for everything now. My IT department can't hack my comptuer anymore! For links http://www.versiontracker.com is essential.
Old 06-05-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pbd - how are you liking the MBP ?

I almost bought one when I read about the heat issue.. it seems pretty bad?
Old 06-05-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The heat "issue" isn't really an issue. I'm a PC guy and I bought a macbook pro and it hasn't given me any problems since I got it in April or so. It does get hot, and I suppose that some people might find it uncomfortable enough to have it on their legs, but it doesn't bother me. It's never overheated or anything like that. I did drop it however and the hardware was ok, but the case is now warped forever due to the material they chose to use. It's ok though, I don't mind all that much.
Old 06-05-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ravan. It does get really hot but as Ergyu says it has not been a problem. It as never overheated even under heavy use. I just spent all day Saturday encoding some video projects I have been working on in Final Cut Pro and it made it through with flying colours. Also my Macbook stays on probably 18-20 hours a day and travels with me to work and field every day.

Anyway I posted some thoughts on it recently in this thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465692