Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Run a website from your hard drive?

Old 05-31-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Run a website from your hard drive?

Hi

I'd like to localize a website so that it can completely run from my computer. The issue arises from traveling to conventions and wanted bypassers to have access to the website but my not wanting to pay $1000-$2000 a day for internet access at the convention. All they need to do is to look at that website, its links (all within the site), and graphics.

How's the best way to save the website to my computer and have all the targets change to a local hard drive access? Thanks so much for the input.
Old 05-31-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While it's a more expensive solution, have you considered high speed internet cards? I think Sprint or Cingular have cards that cost about $100-$120 a month for unlimited data.
Old 05-31-06, 11:21 AM
X
Administrator

You could download the site to your computer and change your hosts file to direct the domain name to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Old 05-31-06, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies.

ChiTown - this is also for representatives who travel to Europe and not just for one computer. I need a package that can be sent via cd or email to be replicated on different representatives' computers.

X - would you mind giving some more details. That sounds like exactly what I want to do. How to go about downloading the site, however?
Old 05-31-06, 11:47 AM
X
Administrator

This isn't your site?

I suppose you could use something like QuadSucker to download all the pages and images. If it's not your site and you don't have detailed knowledge of how it works you could have problems with things coming from different urls or it being database-driven or it not even running on the type of webserver you'll have on your computer.
Old 05-31-06, 03:32 PM

assuming you have xp pro, install IIS. setup your site in Inetpub. if your site needs database access, you can run a copy of the db on the machine depending on db.
Old 05-31-06, 04:29 PM

it's my friend's dad's site. he's an inventor.

i'll check out quadsucker and see if that will get the job done.
Old 06-01-06, 12:57 AM

Quadsucker is sortof working.

It seems to be downloading all the pages and graphics and whatnot, but when I open the main page the menu buttons aren't showing properly although their graphics have been downloaded into the appropriate "graphics" folder. also, i can't seem to link to the other pages on the site. When I highlight a link, it shows me (as on the internet site) something like "index.php?id=2&type=analysis." Through quadsucker, it has a local address but tries to open a file rather than link to the page.
Old 06-01-06, 08:36 AM

the site is running queries against a db and you probably don't have php installed.