Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Norton Antivirus 2006 is worse than virus.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-29-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm working on my next-door neighbor's PC because he can't get NAV 2006 to update (he just downloaded it when he updated his subscription for another two years). Basically what would happen is that the updates would be downloaded and then during the installation, the progress bar would just stop and sit their for about an hour until finally it spat out a useless error message.

First of all, his computer is not very good. It has a AMD Sempron 3000+ and only 256 MB of RAM. Pretty weak, but there's no reason for NAV 2006 to frequently go unresponsive and cause IE to go unresponsive while it was open, as it often did. The thing is so bloated, it's just disgusting. His computer takes about 3-5 minutes to boot up anyway, but with NAV 2006 in play, it ended up taking a teeth-nashing 10 minutes! I couldn't believe it. I had to clean Bonzai Buddy, Weather Bug, Comet Cursor, and about 10 other adware apps off my grandma's computer a few years ago, but even it wasn't as slow to boot up and as sluggish as this machine. NAV 2006 was the only thing he had running in the background! No malware or "awesome" apps, just NAV.

But then on to the actual problem. I uninstall and reinstall NAV, thinking that would fix the problem, but I was wrong. Turns out, he had an old version of Norton Firewall running and he'd let the subscription run out on purpose on that. Well, apparently some of the files that were being updated were shared files between NAV and NFW, and NFW was refusing to allow them to be updated because it was out of date. I had to completely uninstall NFW, and then uninstall and reinstall NAV again, just to get LiveUpdate to work AT ALL.

I used to like Norton (I haven't used it since about NAV 2002 though), but this newest version is the crappiest, most bloated AV prog I've ever seen. Too bad he'd just paid $60 for this, otherwise I would have just recommended that he ditch it and use something else.
Old 05-30-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Norton products (except Ghost) = Possessed PC!

Only the corporate edition of NAV is worthwhile.

Sonic
Old 05-31-06, 08:37 AM

From your limited description it sounds to me like the issue is your friends PC has two problems.

1.He hasn't properly deinstalled old software. The trouble with windows is all software dumps DLLs into the SYSTEM directories. If he'd old versions of any Norton ap and left old DLLs lying around they're going to be a potential source of conflict. When deinstilling NAV I'd suggest making sure the rest of the junk is also carefully deinstalled.

2. His machine sounds underpowered. Your claim of Norton as a system hog is probably not entirely true. Windows is a virtual memory operating system. Therefore any software is "given" whatever memory is requests. If a program asks for more than is actually available then the remainder its given isn't real memory but just disk space marked as virtual memory. If Norton, or any program regularly wants more memory than is available it will end up using disk reads instead of memory reads. As Norton isn't designed to recognise these limitations on your system it won't allocate its memory requirements intelligently (so that most needed data was in real memory not disk for example). Starting software that's doing some or most of its memory work on disk will be painfuly slow.

Your statement of Norton being worse than a virus, comes across as specious. The issues he's suffering from are performance related due to running on an underpowered system. I wouldn't be surprised if you checked that you'd find his system is actually under the recommended minimums for Norton.

Regardless despite slow running, Norton doesn't appear to be doing any harm. Viruses on the other hand can not only cause slow running but also actively destroy the system.

There are AV tools out there that use less resources, but most of the more sophisticated tools will also need machine resources to carry out the checks. Get lighter resource usage tools and your going to have a less secure system.
Old 05-31-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidoflondon
There are AV tools out there that use less resources, but most of the more sophisticated tools will also need machine resources to carry out the checks. Get lighter resource usage tools and your going to have a less secure system.
Bullshit. Norton is extremely bloated, and a much lighter antivirus offers fine protection. If you know someone that knows nothing about computers, setting them up on a limited user account is a better solution than installing Norton, and limited user accounts in Windows suck.
Old 05-31-06, 02:15 PM

Everybody says Norton is bloated nowadays. It's not really an opinion - it's a fact. Norton's bloat doesn't mean it's scanning any better. I still used an old Pentium II 350 with 128mb ram on Windows 98 until last year. I had the newest version of nod32 (one of the top rated AV's) installed on that archaic system and I never had to wait 10 minutes for my computer to boot up like the OP described when using Norton.

Last edited by BenboC; 05-31-06 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 06:17 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AVG seems like the way to go now
Old 06-01-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I used AVG for a couple of years, but it started to destabilize my system something fierce after it did an automatic update about a month ago. It was so bad that it kept crashing while I was booting up Windows and I thought my computer was officially fucked.

So I removed it, and I'm now flying without any virus protection.

Actually, I've never really had any trouble with viruses. In all the time I was using AVG, I think it only found something like two viruses out of all of the spam I received. And even then, I delete spam unread. The only time I'm ever really been hit with viruses was back in 2002 when there was a Klez worm going around, and I'd get a couple of those a day, but I never opened them and was never infected.
Old 06-01-06, 06:04 AM

I had the to fix a guys computer with the same problem he spent over 10 hours on the phone with norton just trying to update and they still couldn't get it to work, and I had trouble getting mcafee installed because they f'ed up the reg, norton has really lost it, I will be keeping them like Real as far a way from my system as possible.
Old 06-01-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Actually, I've never really had any trouble with viruses. In all the time I was using AVG, I think it only found something like two viruses out of all of the spam I received. And even then, I delete spam unread. The only time I'm ever really been hit with viruses was back in 2002 when there was a Klez worm going around, and I'd get a couple of those a day, but I never opened them and was never infected.
This is very true. If you're knowlegeable enough, viruses really aren't a problem. I never even see my spam and I don't open unexpected attachments, even from friends.