Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hooking up second hard drive into a dell tower?

Old 05-29-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hooking up second hard drive into a dell tower?

I'm running WIN XP sp2 on a Dell Dimension 4600i. I've got a DVD ROM and CD-RW along with a factory HD installed. We need to pull some files from another HD that is eaten up with viruses, and I want to install this as a secondary drive onto our tower so that I can get them out.

Any ideas? I'd like a permanent solution so that I can reformat the drive and keep it in the desktop since it's about a 10G drive. HOwever, I'll take a temporary solution.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-06, 10:59 AM
X
Administrator

Just make sure your Dell's existing drive is jumpered to CS (cable select) and the virus one is too and plug the virus one onto the existing IDE cable. If the cable only has one connector for drives get a new cable that has two. I'm assuming the optical drives are on another cable. You can probably mix them between cables too.

You're sure the virus won't spread, right?
Old 05-29-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
Just make sure your Dell's existing drive is jumpered to CS (cable select) and the virus one is too and plug the virus one onto the existing IDE cable. If the cable only has one connector for drives get a new cable that has two. I'm assuming the optical drives are on another cable. You can probably mix them between cables too.

You're sure the virus won't spread, right?
I'm sure hoping so...this is a HD that was in my wife's home PC, and the PC as a whole died a few years ago. They still had the PC last time we were home, so we took the HD in order to extract the data. As a secondary drive, I'm going to run virus, spyware, and adware checks on the whole drive before anything else is done with it.
Old 05-29-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, I've got the drive hooked up through the IDE cable extending from the Master HD. Slave drive is running and Windows recognized it, but I can't gain access to the drive. I've tried googling the problem, but I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-29-06, 03:11 PM

Do you get an error message? What happens when you try to access it?
Old 05-29-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I don't get any kind of error message. Once I hooked it up and booted XP, I got a pop-up from my system tray detecting the new hardware (WDC XXXXXXX) and then saying, "New hardware installed". Opening up "My Computer" I don't see this new hardware anywhere in that menu. THe power is hooked up fine, and I can hear the drive running. But, for the record, I haven't gotten ANY error messages of any kind.
Old 05-29-06, 07:13 PM
X
Administrator

Go into Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management and assign your drive a drive letter.
Old 05-29-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried that earlier, and I still couldn't locate the disk. I read that XP only allows four devices, and I have a front end USB, DVD ROM, CD RW, and master HD.

I later removed my external HD from its enclosure and placed this current HD in there. Even though it's recognized, I still can't access it, even in device management. I've DLed the drivers for the old HD, but I can't seem to install them without having to reformat the old HD.

Thanks to everyone for your help...I'm trying to learn stuff while doing this, so it makes for a steep learning curve.
Old 05-29-06, 07:58 PM
X
Administrator

XP allows more than four devices. Two IDE channels only allow four devices on them but additional channels or USB devices can be handled by XP.
Old 05-29-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotcha. That's why I switched to my external enclosure instead. I'm still messing with it.