Reload this Page >

Windows Task Manager closing by itself

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-29-06, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately whenever I do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the task manager, it will automatically close itself as soon as it opens. I have no idea what could be causing this. It is happening on both my desktop (XP Pro) and my laptop (XP Home), both of which are on my network. I was thinking it may have been a virus, but my virus scanner hasn't detected anything.
Old 05-29-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go here Look under the heading:Task Manager - Control/Alt/Delete - Doesn't work.
Old 05-29-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll post my issue here since it deals with the task manager as well.

When I do C-A-D, I get the list of processes that are running and nothing else. No Windows Task Manager box, no tabs for applications, processes, performance, and networking. No regular dropdowns like File, Edit, etc. The only way I can figure to close it is by ending the task manager process.

I think that things got screwed up when I was using LogMeIn to look at something on my computer, and I am guessing somehow some commands got screwed up.

Can someone please help? It is driving me batty!
Old 05-29-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I'll post my issue here since it deals with the task manager as well.

When I do C-A-D, I get the list of processes that are running and nothing else. No Windows Task Manager box, no tabs for applications, processes, performance, and networking. No regular dropdowns like File, Edit, etc. The only way I can figure to close it is by ending the task manager process.

I think that things got screwed up when I was using LogMeIn to look at something on my computer, and I am guessing somehow some commands got screwed up.

Can someone please help? It is driving me batty!
See if this helps. Usually solves the problem.
Old 05-29-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A spyware does this to me once. They also block me to registy editor. Pretty nasty. I finally got that fixed with hijackthis.
Old 05-29-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

68ShelbyGT500KR: You the man! It solved it. Thanks. This isn't the first time you've found an answer to a tech issue that I've had.

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

68ShelbyGT500KR: Thanks for the info, however that page is really hard to follow. I don't know where one set of directions ends and another begins. Is there a scanner that can eliminate the problem?

eedoon: What was causing it for you? I ran HijackThis on my computer, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am running Perfeck Keylogger (which my virus scanner is treating like a trojan) but other than that, I don't see anything.
Old 05-29-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a work around you could try using Process Explorer: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

It's like Taskman, except with more options. If some spyware program is closing Taskman to keep you from killing it, this may work. Or even if it's a non-malicious system error you'll have an alternative.

ps. Besides giving a lot more details about what programs are doing, one very useful function procexp has is the ability to search file handles, so if windows won't let you delete or move a file because "a program is using it", you can search in procexp and find out what program is using it. It also will let you kill the handle without shutting down the program, which is great for when a handle "leaks".
Old 05-30-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joxer
eedoon: What was causing it for you? I ran HijackThis on my computer, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am running Perfeck Keylogger (which my virus scanner is treating like a trojan) but other than that, I don't see anything.
A spyware from themexp.org but it was some time ago so I forgot the name of the malware.

Last edited by eedoon; 05-30-06 at 12:13 PM.