Reload this Page >

torrent problem...a question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-28-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for about the last week I am having 0 luck connecting to almost every single torrent I want. I cannot connect to any seeds at all. I may get lucky and connect to 3-4 peers but my downloads completely blow now(I'm talking not even 1kb now). this applies to both public/private trackers. there is only 1 exception to this - the torrent for the open office software downloads at around 750kb.

I am not using port forwarding because it is too hard to configure my setup due to the fact that I have an AT&T Callvantage TA/router as well as a Linksys wireless router and my modem also has a built in firewall that I can't configure so I'm told. I have no idea whats going on or how to fix this.

I'm using XP with SP2.

is anyone else experiencing something like this? anyone have any suggestions for me other than to get rid of Comcast?
Old 05-28-06, 09:30 PM

What client(s) are you trying with?
Old 05-28-06, 09:34 PM

oops, I thought I put in that I have been using utorrent. it was working just fine until about a week ago.
Old 05-29-06, 02:36 AM

well if you are behind 2 routers you have to port forward on both of them or set the pc in the dmz of the internal router and forward on the external router
Old 05-29-06, 03:45 AM

If you get the routing situation figured out and it's still that way call your ISP. Many are capping torrent ports.
Old 05-29-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My old IP started to "traffic shape" without notifying anyone, and denied all claims that it was. If you think this might be the issue, check out some of your local newsgroups, or something similar. I found that dslreports.com was a good place to find information, but I am guessing it would depend on your location.
Old 05-29-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Change the port in your client. Even if you can't open the right ports in your firewall(s), it might help still if your ISP is blocking common BT ports (6880-6999).
Old 05-29-06, 07:13 PM

I tried changing the port in utorrent 5 different times. I tried a random number in each of the following:

and the results were all the same. I would get a download to start for about 5sec. max and then it would just die. I can leave the pc on for hours on end and nothing will happen.
Old 05-30-06, 12:25 AM

ok, I'm trying the port forwarding thing and ran into a snag. I have opened the same port on both my Linksys and D-Link routers that is listed in utorrent. I set up a static IP on the pc I'm using for the torrent(do I need to do all pcs in order for this to work?). I have utorrent allowed for connection to the internet via windows firewall(do I need to do something special here?). no when I test the port to make sure its open the IP shown in the result does not match my IP on the pc. its the IP listed from my AT&T router. I don't know if I can change the IP and such in my AT&T router so can I configure a static NAT or something here? I have no idea what I need to do next?