Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Laptop newbie - Good? Cheap?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-28-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, is there any difference between a "Laptop" and a "Notebook" computer, or are the terms interchangeable now?

My mom is planning to get a laptop, and I was wanting to find a good quality system without breaking the bank...

She is 72, and her desktop computer is set at 800x600 resolution. She has trouble reading a higher resolution (smaller fonts.) She plans to use it for writing, cataloging her books, etc.

She would like to find something under $600 or so, preferably even cheaper, although she doesn't want to end up with a piece of junk. Obviously, she isn't going to be playing games on it, and while I might borrow it from time to time, it still doesn't need to be a high-end gaming machine.

Features needed:
Good-sized hard-drive
reasonable amount of memory
CD-RW
preferably DVD playback
Bright clear screen
good battery life
no heat issues (some of the Compaqs at Comp USA were almost too hot to touch)
good reliability - good brand (no Acers, Compaqs...)
an easy way to transfer files to her desktop (this is why she wanted the CD-RW)
Wireless would be good, although the house doesn't have wireless at the moment.

Frankly, while I did know a bit about computers, I haven't messed with a new operating system since Win98SE, and I haven't really kept up on even the latest desktop hardware for a while, much less for laptops.

Have there been tremendous advances in all fields of laptops recently, or would it be possible to find an older model that is still good, except that the chip may not be the newest, fastest chip on the market? Where would be a good place to find older systems like this?
Old 05-28-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no difference between laptop and notebook - they're basically same..

I would look at Dell, HP, or Toshiba. Dell offers basic notebook starting $549... I suggest you look around other than Dell and see what they offer.
Old 05-29-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look into a Thinkpad. They're very well-built, and their replacement parts never get discontinued.
Old 06-02-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Well, we picked up a HP-Pavillion at Best Buy for $549. I let 'em "sucker" me into the super extended 3-year warranty that covers cracked screens, spills, drops, etc., as well as a battery replacement for $250. Evidently, the battery might not be doing so well in a couple of years...

Going by one of the stickers that was on the notebook:
HP DV5000 (or dv5116nr)
AMD Sempron 3300+ (2.0 GHz)
512 system memory (DDR, I presume)
60 GB hard drive
24Xmax dvd-rom/cd-rw drive
54g wireless, 100BaseT network, 56K modem built in

It has a 15.4 (I think) widescreen, and seems to be pretty nice so far...
Old 06-02-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems nice! Take a good care of it.
Old 06-03-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually that's a warrenty you want hopefully was with HP and not Best Buy.
Old 06-03-06, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Well, we picked up a HP-Pavillion at Best Buy for $549. I let 'em "sucker" me into the super extended 3-year warranty that covers cracked screens, spills, drops, etc., as well as a battery replacement for $250. Evidently, the battery might not be doing so well in a couple of years...
Actually, the Best Buy or any store warranty is worth it for battery replacement alone, not to mention anything else that may/will go wrong. If you are going to use the battery on your laptop, chances are it will screw up within 3 years. My previous laptop, an HP, was from Best Buy with the extra warranty and I had them send me 3 new batteries over the period of the contract. I used the laptop on battery everyday and apparently they wear out with lots of use. Look the price of a battery up and it seems worth it to me for that alone.

Plus you'll have the piece of mind that you can take it into Best Buy and get it fixed relatively fast, rather than having to ship your computer to the manufacturer and wait for them to fix it under their warranty. I've had friends that have been weeks without their computers because it was off at the manufacturer getting fixed under warranty. For my battery replacements with Best Buy, I didn't even have to go into the store, just called them, explained the problem and they shipped it to me no questions asked.