Reload this Page >

I need a good app for making a wedding reception video out of images

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-23-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically for my wedding video I made a really nice "video" that Vegas Video worked perfect for and since ive used Vegas for years im pretty familiar with it. However, now im making one for my sister-in-law and I dont know if I have a program that will be suficient.

She wants a nice video presentation, but only with images, no video, but I want to do more then just have images bacvk to back with music and transitions because Vegas or any program can do that. At my brother-in-law's wedding they had a professional make their video and it was the same thing, just images with a couple very small video clips here and there. However, here is the thing, on the images I want to be able to hold on an image of the two and then slowly zoom in to where ever they are in the photo and that's what I cant figure out how to do it in Vegas.

For instance, if they are in the upper right hand of the photo, to have the whole photo in the shot, and then slowly or however, zoom to the upper right in the photo until only the two of them are in the photo, then go on to the next photo. Thats what I dont know what to do.

What would be a good app for that? I need it to be able to output to Avi since i already have a dvd authoring program I might use to finalize it.... any ideas, thanks
Old 05-23-06, 02:43 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My friend, what you want is Microsoft Photo Story 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

whoa...deja vu
Old 05-23-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im looking at it right now, kind of a small app, but its not the size that matters all the time, thanks for the recommendation

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 05-23-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 03:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i used it to make a presentation for a friend's wedding. it can be very simple (drop in a bunch of pictures and it will automatically and randomly do the movements) or versatile allowing you to take full control of the movements and focus points.

one thing i suggest is to use full resolution pictures so the quality if the pics aren't affected when you do zooms.
Old 05-23-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks HN, anyone else?
Old 05-23-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD
Old 05-23-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

would be great if I had a Mac
Old 05-23-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just used Photo2DVD to do one for my niece's wedding and it worked great.
Old 05-23-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nazz...thanks for the advice, I downloaded the trial and gave it a shot. Unless I missed something I doesnt allow me to do the one thing thats crucial. It lets you zoom in on a pic, but doesnt let you zoom in to a certain point on a pic. For instance if the couple is together in a corner, then I would like to zoom up to that corner, but most of the programs ive found only let you just zoom in dead center. You would think it wouldnt be that hard to allow that type of zoom and also to tell it to allow a set number of seconds before the zoom starts as well....thanks for youre input though, I appreciate it
Old 05-23-06, 05:23 PM

i only use Adobe Premiere 6 for stuff like that.
Old 05-23-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately Vegas Video has worked great for me for years, but it lacks that zoom capability which is crucial in this project otherwise id just use that
Old 05-23-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adobe After Effects is perfect for this.

EDIT: I really should say more. With After Effects, you arrange the pictures in 3D space and then move the camera through them. If you work over the pictures in Photoshop first, then After Effects will see the transparent areas as transparent.

Needless to say, the Ken Burns effect you're talking about would be extremely simple to do in After Effects, and you would have a tremendous amount of control too.

Last edited by dugan; 05-23-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I made a project using Photo Story 3, which I do like the program, but it is limited in a couple of ways, mainly fades in/out with the type of pics I have setup so I have a way around it but now I have a question about the Windows Media Video 9 codec. What I want to do is take the final project and put it into something like Vegas Video because I would like to add some fades between certain images, but to do that I will need to re-render certain groups of images into one "image" then add the fade after that obviously, therein lies the problem though:

I usually use Ulead Dvd Workshop 2 for dvd authoring since it does the rendering and converting like any other authoring program does. but when im in Vegas I need to decide how im going to render the files after I added that fade to it. Thats the problem. Since im going to make a dvd out of it I thought I would make it into an Mpeg 2 and save Dvd Workshop the time later, but the end result of just looking at the little file didnt look very good and it didnt take up the whole screen like the file did from Photo Story 3, which looked a lot better. So I tried .avi which looked worse, (kinda figured it would) Then I tried actually keeping it as .WMV9 thinking since it starts as .wmv9 I might as well keep it consistant. However, it still didnt look as good as the original file that was wmv9 anyway from Photo Story 3... So now im out of options..... Im just trying to keep the quality the same, but it always seems to come out looking a little different.. I know its going to look better on my television, but it still should look the same on my monitor, thats what worries me.... any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-23-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did this easily with Adobe Premiere. I don't see why Vegas can't do it. It's a simple feature, but I've never used Vegas myself. Perhaps a Google search can help.
Old 05-23-06, 11:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what kind of fade are you trying to achieve?
Old 05-23-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the problem is is that PS 3 allows fades, but HN, I took one more look before typing this and I think I had the cursor positioned at one pic that a fade was occuring at in which case it messed with the fade. I just tried it with a different pic I put in at the end and it looks like it applies it to the end of the one prior and beginning of the one after which is good, I was worried about that. Good that you can set time too..it stops at 5 secs, but you can type in anything else which was a relief....so it looks like I wont have to go to Vegas Video (I dont think) for the fades which is a relief. Good
Old 05-23-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should be able to accomplish what you want to do in Vegas. I haven't used it in a while, but do remember using that technique. A quick search yielded this:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-14.htm
Old 05-24-06, 12:49 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DigitalDuck
Well, the problem is is that PS 3 allows fades, but HN, I took one more look before typing this and I think I had the cursor positioned at one pic that a fade was occuring at in which case it messed with the fade. I just tried it with a different pic I put in at the end and it looks like it applies it to the end of the one prior and beginning of the one after which is good, I was worried about that. Good that you can set time too..it stops at 5 secs, but you can type in anything else which was a relief....so it looks like I wont have to go to Vegas Video (I dont think) for the fades which is a relief. Good
good to hear

also, remember you don't have to necessarily do fade from one pic directly to another. you can fade to dark, fade to different background colors (by using color swatches as your image), and text (by creating your own title cards).

heck, you can make the text move around, zoom in/out, and blend/fade into one another. for example: http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sample6cq.gif (the first line fades in, moves down, fades out as second line fades in and moves up). the text effects can probably be done easier in a program meant to do so, but i did it altogether in photostory since a bunch of my text was fading in and out of zooms and pans from the pictures.
Old 05-24-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.codejam.com/slideshow/index.htm
Old 05-25-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.muvee.com/website/ap5.php

Muvee AutoProducer is great for slideshows