Reload this Page >

Help needed with a laptop battery problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-22-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To follow up to this thread, I found a good deal on a cheap eBay laptop.

It's a Compaq Evo N400c (not a stellar laptop by any means, it's strictly for wireless internet). The auction stated no battery would be included, so I bought a battery off another auction. It turns out a battery was included, it just doesn't hold a charge for long.

The additional secondary battery I bought looks like this:

I put the battery in the proper location. The laptop did not recognize the battery. I plugged the AC in and let it charge overnight, thinking a fully charged battery would then be recognized. No go. The battery lights on the bottom only show one of five lights, which I would assume means low charge.

I searched for a driver, I tried to set it up through the control panel. I'm just not having any luck getting the laptop to recognize this battery. The auction "guarantees" the battery to hold a full charge.

Am I doing something wrong or is the battery just bad?
Old 05-22-06, 08:27 AM

Are you sure the problems with the battery? I don't know the model of laptop you're referring to but batteries are just power supplies, the laptop shouldn't need any special drivers to access it. It sounds to me like there might be some damaged connections in the laptop itself.
Old 05-22-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was certainly another thought I had. The auction for the laptop claimed "100% functional". (I can't seem to get the internal wireless networking to work either.)

Is there a way to test connections?
Old 05-23-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

bump
Old 05-23-06, 08:35 AM

Don't know how you'd test the connections without taking the thing apart and running voltmeters or the like over its innards. Not to be recommended unless you're experienced with those things. I wouldn't try that personally, you may need to take it to a repair shop and get them to check it.

However you could check the battery if you know someone with a compatible laptop you could borrow. You could try the battery in that and thereby prove whether the battery is/is not at fault. Remembering that the battery being working would demonstrate a fault in the laptop, but the battery being faulty would not prove the laptop was problem free (potentially if there's a severe problem in the laptop it could actually cause the battery to malfunction).

Wireless networking is a pain to set up. I'm reasonably tech savvy (although no expert) and I only set up the wireless network in my house with telephone assistance from the people who provided my router. The trouble with wireless networks is its difficult to tell what's going wrong as you get no clues from the network until everything's working, by which time you don't need the clues!! So the problem there could just be its not set correctly.

Last edited by davidoflondon; 05-23-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The battery seller will be replacing the battery I received. If the laptop doesn't recognize this one either, obviously I know the connections are bad.

Is it really possible for bad connections to cause a battery to be non-functional? Meaning a good battery will go bad once hooked up via bad connections?

If that's the case, I'm not even sure I want to hook up the replacement battery and might just flip it on eBay.
Old 05-25-06, 08:51 AM

Batteries are normally fairly simple devices so difficult to ruin. However I've read of cases where a fault in the system you're connecting the battery too (be that a laptop or any other device type) can cause a short and make the battery go completely flat.

The problem is then that battery can need at least a residual charge in order to initialise a recharge. So with the short having removed all the charge you now can't recharge the battery.