Reload this Page >

Port forwarding for my Tivo

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-19-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to make my Tivo accessible via the internet. A friend of mine tells me that I need to get a static IP address via DynDNS.org and forward the internal IP address via the router to the internet.

I'm clueless on this. I have a LinSys router, if this helps.
Old 05-19-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn't sound like you're trying to do port forwarding to me. That'd imply sending information to and from your Tivo through a port you'd open in your firewall.
Old 05-19-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, how do I do that?
Old 05-19-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, if you really are trying to forward your port, you'll need not only to get a static IP for your network (via DynDNS.org as you mentioned, or otherwise), but you'll need to set a static IP on the Tivo itself. As for whether the latter is either possible or necessary to do what you want to do, I have no idea.

I guess I'm mainly wondering where you picked up the idea that you need to do port forwarding for this to work, what context it was in, and whether it was talking about your PC, your router, or your Tivo.
Old 05-20-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought my friend said I had to do port forwarding, maybe he meant (or I misundersood him) opening a port.
Old 05-20-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I thought my friend said I had to do port forwarding, maybe he meant (or I misundersood him) opening a port.

I now officially recommend talking to your friend, since it's clear you don't know what port forwarding is.

The reason I say this is that the only reason to open a port in your firewall would be to have that port forwarded to your Tivo. If you were going to do this, your Tivo would need a static IP address so that it wouldn't represent a "moving target" for your router. As I stated above, I have no idea either how to do this on a Tivo or if you need to do this.