Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD recording problem - please help!

Old 05-18-06, 07:23 PM

DVD recording problem - please help!

Hi, this is my first time on a forum about DVDs, and I hope this is the right place to post about this matter. I've read through the FAQ.

I am using Nero 6 to copy some family DVDs. I have about 60 of them. The first 20 or so were fine, then things went wrong. Several DVDs did not make it past the reading process - Nero gives a "reading failed" error. These DVDs are in the proper formats, as I've said many of them were read and copied without any trouble. The first time this happened I figured the DVDs were scratched, but they look fine (by the way, most of these DVDs I'm trying to copy haven't been used before and are fairly new). In fact, they play fine in all of my DVD players, including the one in which Nero uses to read. My equipment has not failed, because I've tried using other DVD-ROMs as sources.

As you can see, this makes no apparent sense. It's been very frustrating. If anyone can offer me any advice I would very much appreciate it.
Old 05-18-06, 07:29 PM

I should add the equipment I'm using, just in case:
Source drive (read): Generic DVD+RW, reads the format I'm trying to copy (DVD-R)
Destination drive (write): Lite-On LDW-811S 8x (DVD+/-RW)
Using Memorex DVD-R blanks
Old 05-18-06, 07:40 PM
X
Administrator

Try some different media. Memorex isn't very good.

Your writer could have gone bad too. It's a moderately old one.
Old 05-18-06, 07:54 PM

I have tried a different media, it still didn't work. Although it shouldn't really matter since its the reading process that is failing. I've set Nero so that it goes from DVD to HD to blank DVD, instead of directly going from DVD to blank DVD.

I've also swapped the drives around, but that didn't work either. Altogether I've tried 3 different drives as source drives and 2 different drives as destination drives.
Old 05-18-06, 08:19 PM
X
Administrator

Oh, I thought it was the reading during a verify that failed.

So the original DVDs are not being read? Try to read them on the drive you're using to burn, the Lite-on instead of the Generic.