Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows 2000 Stop Error: Got the answer - can't fix it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-18-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Out of the blue today one of my machines gave the good ol' BSOD. On bootup it was C000021a - Windows Logon Process Failed.

I searched and came up with this

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...kb%2F330303%2F

SYMPTOMS
When you try to log on to a domain on a Windows 2000-based computer, a Winlogon error dialog box briefly appears and then the following Stop error message occurs:
STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x0000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem occurs if the fully qualified domain name ( FQDN) of your computer is exactly 200 bytes long. During logon, one character more than the 200-byte allocation is written and heap corruption occurs.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
Service Pack Information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
260910 (http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
Back to the top

Hotfix Information
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows 2000 service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://www.support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel. Date Time Version Size File name
---------------------------------------------------------
24-Oct-2002 01:33 5.0.2195.6102 46,864 Secur32.dll

Back to the top

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, rename the computer so that it is one character shorter. If you do so, the FQDN is less than 200 characters long and the heap corruption does not occur.

Back to the top

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about how to obtain a hotfix for Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
265173 (http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/265173/EN-US/) The Datacenter Program and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Product
Only problem is I can't logon to change the computer name. Is there a workaround for this? I've tried every safemode option and everytime it gets to the logon screen, BAM!, stop error.
Old 05-18-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What on earth did you name your computer that was 200 bytes long?!?

Have you tried going through the recovery console to see if you can rename it from there? Using your original O/S disc and booting to it should give you the console option. You will need your administrator password to gain access.
Old 05-19-06, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I named them based on machine name. We have two press brakes made by Accurpress.

I don't remember exactly but I think I named the little one 'LittleAccurpress'

I know I know.

I'll give the disc a whirl this morning. Thanks.
Old 05-19-06, 08:03 AM

Are you sure you aren't getting the error for another reason?

Seems to be a plethora of possibilities when I searched on that error.

I think the recovery console should help or by doing a repair option.
Old 05-19-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno. I can't be for certain but that was the first thing that popped up when I googled. That and I know that the name was unusually long.
Old 05-19-06, 01:20 PM

Actually, the name isn't that long. My workstation at work is much longer.

It's format is:
xxxx-xx-000000.xxxx.xxxxx.xxx

I think if you put your O/S disc in and go through like you want to do an install it will detect a version already there and give you a repair option. Doing that should fix whatever the issue is.
Old 05-19-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Already tried that. No go. I'll google some more before I just reinstall. It's not a HUGE issue at the moment. I'd much rather find a fix than do a reinstall. I just put that machine out there about 10 days ago. That brings up another question. IF it were the machine name why didn't it do it to begin with?
Old 05-19-06, 03:22 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669/en-us
Old 05-22-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to give you an update. The drive took a crap today. Figures.
Old 05-22-06, 07:54 PM

Do you have a spare drive you can install an O/S on and hook up as master to see if you can recover your data?
Old 05-22-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Data isn't an issue. Thankfully this client machine is only used for viewing data. All of which is stored on another network drive.

Thanks for all the help though. It never showed any signs of dying other than the fact that the stop error came at an odd time after it had been working for a few weeks.
Old 05-23-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Well, at least you now can just chalk it up to hardware failure. SpinRite that mutha'.