Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which kind of camcorder to buy?

Old 05-16-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which kind of camcorder to buy?

I'm in the market to purchase my first camcorder to begin recording the events in our lives since the birth of our son, and the upcoming birth of our daughter in August. If you were buying a camcorder, which kind would you get - one that records to tape, DVD or hard drive? Any recommendations?
Old 05-16-06, 11:48 AM
X
Administrator

I wouldn't get one that records to DVD because it's already compressing the video in mpeg2 form. If you want to edit the video most apps will have to compress it a second time resulting in quality loss.

I don't know if hard drive models also do that compression but you could check that out.
Old 05-16-06, 04:32 PM

I agree with X - don't be fooled into a DVD camcorder. They are for people who don't want/know how to do any type of video editing on their computer. You basically record on miniDVD and toss into any DVD player... But, if you want to add effects, transitions, music, titles, etc (editing) - then you're better off with MiniDV or HDD. I personally use MiniDV and do my own editing (you'll find yourself recording the floor or with the lens cap on because you don't know its recording...) If its miniDVD, you can't go back and record over it, whereas with miniDV and HDD you can - as many times as you like. Not sure the price of miniDVDs either, but I'm pretty sure they are one time use discs. I would probably get HDD camcorder. But definitely ask the salesman about compression/conversion - if any... Depending on what MPEG, you can just burn onto any DVD and toss it into DVD player - so you're really getting the convenience of miniDVD, but you get the added space of 4.5GB and/or 9.0GB (you just have to download and burn onto DVD).