Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DSL and router question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL and router question

Old 05-15-06, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSL and router question

I have the Alcatel USB SpeedTouch ADSL modem (Bellsouth DSL) - this modem connects to PC via USB, and I use a regular phone cable to connect from wall jack to DSL modem.

I want to hook up a router (multiple computers and hardware firewall), but I'm a bit confused. I don't want to buy yet without first getting some info from you guys...

Since this is a USB modem (NO RJ45 hookups), do I have to get a specific router for USB modems? I've seen alot of routers and they all use RJ45 ports... How do I get a router to work on my computer if I'm not using any RJ45 ports/cables?
Old 05-16-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have a few options:

1. See if you can have your modem replaced with an ethernet model. You might be able to get it done for free if you threaten to leave for another service that isn't such a pain to home network.

2. Get a router that can connect using USB. Based on a few minutes googling, there aren't many of these. The Draytek Vigor 2200/2500/2600 line seem to be the best bet, but they are pricey and hard to find in the US. If you do some more searching be aware that many modems have USB connections for printers, but those won't work for your needs. Also, any generic usb->ethernet adapter won't work either because those are designed for a PC's general purpose USB, not a specialized USB connection like your modems.

3. Use a computer with USB to internet share. In this case you don't even need a router, but just a network switch, though you may want to get a router for wireless or future usage. If you do this the gateway PC would have to be powered on for the rest of the network to access the internet.

If you decide to just use a router as a switch/access point, then don't connect the gateway PC to the WAN port, but just use the LAN ports and disable the router's DHCP service. In that situtation the router will act as a switch connecting all the computers together and the gateway PC will act as a router for the other computers.

You could connect the gateway PC to the WAN conneciton and put the rest of the network behind the hardware router. That would give the rest of the network some additional security, but it would also make it more difficult to configure as the network would be behind 2 NATs/firewalls, mean any special connections would have to be configure both routers in order to work.
Old 05-16-06, 05:37 PM

thanks for your input... I knew there was a reason for this crappy DSL modem being free!
Old 05-16-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i also would try to switch to a ethernet modem. i had a usb modem too when i originally had prodigy dsl. i changed to sbc (which now owns prodigy anyways) and they gave us a much better price and a free ethernet modem.