Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about jumper settings for more than two drives in one computer..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-12-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to sound like a stupid computer question (aren't mine all?) and i'm going to do my best to explain it to the best of my abilities.

Ok...so, I already have two drives installed, but i'm going to add two more. They're both Seagate 200g drives. I'm going to connect 'em using Ultra ATA data cables to my Promise Controller card. So that'll make a total of four drives - an 80g, a 300g and 2 200g.

The 80 and one 200 are on the cable that's hooked up to the IDE on the motherboard. I have the 300 and a fresh, newly formatted 200 hooked up to the card. I use the 80g as a boot drive (which is why I have it hooked up to the motherboard).

Now, when I hook up all four drives at the same time, the drives that are hooked up to the motherboard all show up correctly. The other two drives DO show up, but not the correct way. It tells me the 300g isn't formatted (it is) and it only shows two partitions on the new 200g (I made three).

HOWEVER...when I hook up the 300g drive to the cable that the 80g is on (again, which is hooked up to the motherboard), everything shows up the way it should.

Now i'm wondering...if the 80g boot disc has to be the Master, and the other drive on the cable needs to be the Slave, what do I do with the other two drives? Should they both be slaves? And could this be the issue that i'm having?

Also, what I want to do is transfer all of the stuff/progs I have on the boot drive onto another drive, wipe the boot drive, and transfer some of the stuff back over. Any suggests as to the easiest way to do this? I have XP Pro.

Thanks and I hope this makes sense..
Old 05-12-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm responding to this at 3:42am so bear with me if i'm not thinking or reading correctly ... but it looks like you're having recognition problems when you have the 300gigger on the promise card but no problems when it's slaved onto your primary IDE cable into the mobo? Yes? Your boot drive is connected to IDE 1 yes?

Well, the only thing I can offer you at the moment is to put the hard drives into the configuration that you want ... the 80gigger set as master and the other drive as slave (or even cable select I suppose) and then the 2 drives on the promise card set as both cable select.

Of course, you'll have to go to your hard drive manufacturer's site to find out what the jumper settings are for CS so you know where to put the jumper pins.

If that doesn't work then try one drive on the Promise card as master and the other slave (but you probably tried that already) so maybe try one one as master and the other as cable select?

BTW, have you updated your Promise drivers to the latest ones? Have you checked the Promise site for a FAQ?

If everything fails then I can only suggest to head over to www.anandtech.com and post this question on their general hardware or other appropriate forum and some tech guru should be able to answer your question. Or do a search through their forums first.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You hit the problem square on the head. And, yes, the boot drive is connected to IDE 1.

I'm going to give your suggestions a try (promise card drives on CS, update drivers).
Old 05-24-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you get it working? What was the solution?

C'mon man, don't leave me hangin' baby!
Old 05-24-06, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

D'oh! Guess you missed my latest technical misadventure ...I thanked ya there.

Oh, and it was the stupid driver..
Old 05-25-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
D'oh! Guess you missed my latest technical misadventure ...I thanked ya there.

Oh, and it was the stupid driver..
I'm happy that somehow I helped.

So, it was the Promise controller driver?

Man, that's crappy that you went through that trouble over a driver issue.

However, crazy stuff happens all the time.

Just yesterday I phone up my ISP because I was having issues with my internet timing out and not connecting ... I couldn't figure it out and I thought it was ISP-side ... and then the tech had me clear my IE cache and History and it all worked after that. WTF? Never seen that problem fixed like that before. You learn something new everyday.
Old 05-25-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bill_n_opus
Just yesterday I phone up my ISP because I was having issues with my internet timing out and not connecting ... I couldn't figure it out and I thought it was ISP-side ... and then the tech had me clear my IE cache and History and it all worked after that. WTF? Never seen that problem fixed like that before. You learn something new everyday.
Speaking of cache issues..

sigh..