Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! anyway to recover formatted data

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-12-06, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, a virus or something wiped out my system and corrupted some important WinXP OS files - I tried to perform a WinXP "repair" but that didn't work, so I had to "install" WinXP again which required me to choose to format the drive first...

My main problem is that I had about 5GB of data of pictures and video of my children when they were babies! I hadn't done a recent backup of those files and lost alot of personally valuable and priceless memories...

I currently have only WinXP running - I have not installed anything else at this point. Is there anyway for me to get some of that data back? I was doing a little research and stumbled across a program called "GetDataBack NTFS". Hopefully, this might do the trick...

Does anyone have any personal experience in this department? From what I understand, even if you reformat, delete, fdisk, repartition, etc. you still have a good chance to recover some of the old data...

Please help. Thanks
Old 05-12-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a lot of experience in the area of data recovery. GETDATABACK NTFS is an excellent program and probably one of your best hopes for the money.

Your mistake was installing XP again. Had you stopped before that you most likely could have recovered everything.

Now you have a random chance that the XP wrote over the area where your data was.

Your only other hope would be a professional recovery service like datarecovery.net but be prepared to pay over $1000 for their services.