Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best Photo Printer

Old 05-10-06, 10:19 PM

Best Photo Printer

I have always used Epson Printers with Epson paper and have been happy with the quality... BUT... My nozzels keep clogging after prolonged periods of non-use... Right now, I cant get them to un-cloge with the cleaning utility.

Can anyone recommend a photo printer that prints excellent quality photos AND never has these problems with nozzels clogging if you don't use the printer alot. (One other thing I need is the ability to print on CDs)

Thanks...
Old 05-11-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by gr8vette
I have always used Epson Printers with Epson paper and have been happy with the quality... BUT... My nozzels keep clogging after prolonged periods of non-use... Right now, I cant get them to un-cloge with the cleaning utility.

Can anyone recommend a photo printer that prints excellent quality photos AND never has these problems with nozzels clogging if you don't use the printer alot. (One other thing I need is the ability to print on CDs)

Thanks...
I have the Epson one right now that rpints on CDs. R-something. How often should I be using it?
Old 05-11-06, 06:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love Epson photo printers, the quality is amazing. You are right about the ink clogging with prolonged non-usage. I once used up an entire black cartridge using the cleaning utility, but it finally cleared the clog. I've since just printed a test page every week or so, and the clogging problem disappeared. The Epson 785EPX is the most recent one I've used, so I imagine the new ones are really great, and alot can print on cd's now.
Jon
Old 05-14-06, 01:20 PM

I've used Epson, Canon, and now HP printers. The Epsons I've used were high quality but, like you, I had multiple problems with clogged nozzles. The Canon I still have produces great pictures but the ink fades fairly quickly. I don't know if they have fixed this problem in newer models though. I finally went back to HP despite the higher cost of inks and paper. The one advantage of HP is that the ink head nozzles are built into each ink cartridge so every time you change an ink cartridege, you get a brand new ink head. Perhaps that's why HP ink is more expensive?
Old 05-14-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a color laser. More than fine for day to day printing, even pictures. The 1000+ pages I've printed on the enclosed toner cartridges more than made up the difference in cost, once you factor in what 1000 prints would cost in overpriced inkjet cartridges.

For serious photo printing, I use Shutterfly. I get large sizes I can get frames for (as opposed to 8 1/2 by 11, or 13 x 19), and they're printed on real photo paper.
Old 08-19-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm looking for a photo printer myself now.

I do NOT want one of those all-in-ones or one where you stick the memory card into the printer with a handy little screen etc. Those are cool, but overkill. I will print from my pc but have an all-in-one that I use for my daily printing (I'm just not pleased with the photo quality and the heads are always clogging).

I just want to print good quality 4x6's for fun when needed, but I want good quality prints that will last.

There are the memory-card / screen models out for $200 so I have to think I can find a pretty good photo printer that hooks up to the PC for well under that. What are people using?
Old 08-19-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have an Epson 890 and rarely have a problem with clogged nozzies. You have to buy the $200+models to get away from this problem. Or even buy an Epson Refurb.

And of course, 10 people will share experiences which say otherwise, but I thought I would mention my experience first.
Old 08-19-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have an Epson cx3200 as my all in one and the color was fine at first but now it's ureliable at best. It works great as my scanner and basic printer but for photos I would waste way too much ink just getting the nozzles cleaned and adjusted way too often.

That's why I'm looking for a photo-only printer that I will dedicate to this purpose only. I've seen some (apparently) great stuff in stores but I'm hoping for some advice from people with first hand experience.
Old 08-19-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's what I'm looking at getting as of right now. Best I've come across review-wise so far:

HP Photosmart 8250 Printer
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1840720,00.asp

While it does have card inputs and a screen, which I wasn't really hoping to pay for, the price is in my range and quality seems to be what I'm shooting for.

At less than 25 cents a print, it seems to get the job done for a good ongoing cost as well.
Old 08-19-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks pretty good. Do a search for HP driver conflicts with this printer though.
Old 08-19-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The HP D7360 also looks good for the next price tier, but I can't find many good reviews on it since it appears to be brand new.
Old 08-20-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's one of the first (2 days old now) online reviews of the D7630.

http://www.printerspot.com/reviews/h..._d7360-review/

I may be sold, though I will look today at other screen-free models before deciding.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 08-20-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kodak 1400

No nozzles to clog, no ink to smear, and better quality than you could ever get with an inkjet.
Old 08-21-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Staples has $60 off an HP printer (was $200). Might check that out. I saw it while surfing the other night. Of course, I can't remember the model number. D'oh!
Old 08-21-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A good printer is nice to have, and I have always had HPs. Use it wisely when printing photos, otherwise you will spend a fortune in ink and paper. If you have a lot of photos to print, take them to Costco ($.17 per 4x6).
Old 08-21-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

best photo printer is Target or Walgreens

no printer to buy and no overpriced ink or paper to buy either. and the photos come out a lot better on their crazy expensive printers than your cheapo printer