Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can anyone recommend a processor fan for me?

Old 05-10-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone recommend a processor fan for me?

I was given a new PC but I want to replace the current processor fan with something more quiet. The current one sounds like a jet engine and seems to have quite a variable speed.

The motherboard I have is an ABIT IS7-E with a P4 3GHz. I was looking at fans at newegg but it's been so long since I've built a pc I'm kind of out of the loop. I'm not O/Cing so I don't really need anything monsterous. I'm really looking for the quietest thing available.

thanks
Old 05-10-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Silence on my rigs are a priority so I've tried everything to keep noise to a minimum (besides making an AMD build ). Definitely take a look at the Zalman 7000 series. I have them in all my secondary computers as well as my HTPC. They come with FanMate variable speed controls and if you run their 92mm fans at a virtually silent 1500-1600rpm it keeps my P4 3.0ghz Prescott at a very respectable 43 degrees idle in a cramped HTPC case. You could crank up the fan to knock a few degrees off, though fan noise will increase to an audible level (nothing earth shattering though).

If you want to go totally silent and you have a tower computer (doesn't work as well if your motherboard is laying flat), you could take a look at the Scythe Ninja. I know you said not humongous, but this thing is totally silent since it's fanless. I have it in my main rig in an Antec P180 case it kept my P4 3.2ghz Northwood idling at 38 degrees passively. You can also add attach a 120MM fan to any side of it, which I ultimately added a Nexus Silent 120MM fan @1000 RPM and it dropped idle down to 34 and tops out at 45 with Prime95 testing. You have to put your head up to that computer to hear anything.
Old 05-10-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the Thermalright XP-90

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/xp-90-21.html

For a couple of reasons. The number 1 being that you supply your own fan to it. You can basically put whatever you want and if the fan dies the whole heat sync isn't trashed, you just replace the fan.

The Zalman ones are nice, but for the money, an XP-90 and a panaflow or sunon fan are a hard combo to beat.

an example of a good fan for it $6

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/...ptb2-4-86.html

Last edited by 4KRG; 05-10-06 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-10-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zalman
Old 05-10-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a Thermalright XP-90 with a Panaflo fan that's pretty quiet.
Old 05-11-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the fans were so expensive now. What about goo. The last time I even assembled a PC was when the silver stuff was popular. What about now?
Old 05-11-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Arctic Silver 5 is the only way to go for the goo. Well worth the extra couple of bucks.