Reload this Page >

Question on purchasing a barebones computer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-09-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, i'm slowly looking into building a computer. I was just going to buy everything piece by piece until I have everything I need to put it together. I have the video, dvd burner, and sound card and the other simple basics.

I'm just looking for a simple computer I can use to search the internet, play internet poker, and Age of Empires 3.

So I took some advice and looked at pricewatch.com and the Sempron 2800 chip.

What I found from the same store is this: http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog...m.asp?ID=13739

Advertised Barebones Kit Includes:
Asus K8U-X Motherboard Highly featured Asus motherboard for AMD Sempron/ AMD Athlon 64 CPUs ULI 1689 Chipset - 2 DDR Slots (Up to 2GB of system memory) 4 PCI Slots 2 ATA133, 2 SATA AGP 8X/4X Slot 8 USB 2.0 - On Board 10/100 LAN and 6-channel Audio - ATX From Factor
Other ASUS brand motherboard options are also available below in the shopping cart.
AMD Sempron 2800+ CPU (1.6GHz - 256KB L2 Cache)
CPU Fan & Heatsink
450 Watt ATX Mid-Tower Case (Beige or Black]

Could somebody click on the link and suggest what add-ons I should order through them?

I figured the memory, video card, sound card, and hard drive I could order separately and get cheaper. Would you suggest upgrading the motherboard, case or cooling package?

Any hep would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how long you plan on keeping this build, but you may want to consider getting a motherboard with PCI-E slots, especially if you plan to upgrade your video card in the future to keep up with newer games. AGP is last gen and is pretty much being phased out. You can still get decent cards to play AOEIII on AGP, though you may be out of luck when AOE4 rolls around.