Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop Problems

Old 05-08-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Laptop Problems

I have an HP L2000 laptop, running XP pro, that I have had for almost a year.

Last week the thing shut-off for no apparent reason, it was just sitting on the table (plugged in) and just turned off, no shutting down, saving settings, low battery, anything. It wouldn't resart so I had to call tech support, and they told me to remove the battery, then hold the power button for 10 seconds, and replace the battery and try again.

This worked and the guy said is was probably due to a static shock. I thought "OK, whatever". Today it did it again, and the battery showed drained (0%), but after doing the trick above the battery showed 100%

Also, I just noticed today that the control panel > system shows only 384MB of RAM. I should have 512. Is it possible 1/2 a chip died and is causing this problem, or that it is related to the mystery "static shock"? Could/would a small surge do that? Do you think this would fall under a warranty (assuming it was not a surge, but defective RAM?)
Old 05-08-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was there lightning storm in your area recently?
Old 05-08-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, no real storms, just some rain.

Is there some RAM test program? Although both CCleaner and Windows see only 384Mb.
Old 05-10-06, 10:06 AM

Yep, lots of memory test programs. Check out this site: http://www.memtest.org/ It's free, and you can download versions to create bootable CDs, or floppies.
Old 05-10-06, 10:09 AM

Oh, something I forgot to say - if it's still under warranty, I'd definitely be calling about having it checked out - the battery thing's already a little weird, and if RAM's suddenly disappearing...
Old 05-13-06, 08:54 PM

Is it possible that your video card is using the difference for video memory?
Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information and see how much Total Physical Memory is shown under System Summary. Then look under Components, Display. You'll probably see 128Mb RAM listed somewhere.

Last edited by dleedlee; 05-13-06 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I found out that indeed the video card is using 128Mb of the ram, I guess I missed that early on, so when it gets back from repair I will be looking into adding more.

I am sending it in to repair. The shut-offs have been occuring more frequently. I removed the battery and ron from AC only and that seems to be what is doing it. HP told me to upgrade the BIOS, but it wouldn't let me, because it thought I was running off of the battery, even though it was completely reomed

The worst part is I have some Summer courses I am taking, and I have to go with-out it.
Old 05-15-06, 06:39 PM

HP/compaq also has had a couple of battery recalls. If you haven't already, you might to check to see if yours is affected or not. Yours doesn't seem to be but you might want to double check:
http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/ebpr/landingpage.aspx

Last edited by dleedlee; 05-15-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got it back from repair today. I must admit, HP's warranty repair is good. I got the box on Wed, took it to FedEx Wed. evening, and got it back today.

The checklist shows a "system board" and "BIOS update" as repair actions, so I don't know whether the board was fixed or replaced.